The Student Room Group

A levels for Music Uni

Hi everyone! I'm planning to go to music uni in 2 years and I'm kinda struggling to choose my A level subjects.
My 2 ''stable'' options are English and Computer Science, but I have to choose between Math and Psychology for my 3rd subject. I only have 4 GCSEs (I'm homeschooled) and I got an A* in Math, so although I know that technically Math would be the obvious choice, Psychology is a subject I'm really passionate about and one that I didn't take at GCSE. Since I have fewer GCSEs than normal, my instinct tells me to take Psychology just so I can add a new subject to my portfolio (I already kind of proved that I'm really good at Math anyway). What do you guys think?
Do you think that Music might be worth doing .....?
Forgot to mention: I can't do A level music as a private candidate, so I'm taking the ABRSM Grade 8 exam instead.
What kind of unis are you aiming at? Do you have any inkling what your predicted grades might be? If you're aiming for "top" music uni courses, it might be worth going with what you know you're good at. If you haven't done psychology GCSE, it's possible you may struggle with the A Level? Sometimes it's better to play safe, especially since your UCAS application is gonna look a little thin on the ground, grades/subject-wise.

A shame you can't take A Level music as a private candidate! Did you do GCSE music at least?
I would say to do maths since it is a very secure choice for you as you could easily receive good results for alevel, which is what unis are pretty much looking for. But on the other hand, I think it could also be worth doing psychology, since it is a subject you like and there are lots of essay writing in the subject, which is a good practice for taking music at a university level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending