How to deal with bad grades?

Watch
throwaway3f5sa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I went to a grammar school, and didn't get the standard of grades I should have, with just a few Bs and Cs. This restricted my A-level choices, and also my university choices. I think I have done better in my A-levels though, which is nice.

I have researched and been told that I should get the idea of my friends going to 'better' universities than me on mental health websites, however I am having a hard time doing so.

How can I deal with the bad grades in GCSEs? It's bugging me that all my friends found it easy while I found them hard. I just need help looking past it.
moeezstrm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
unless you're applying to oxford or cambridge for university, then gces are completely irrelevant. MAYBE you could bring it up as 'work ethic' in an interview or personal statement if you did well, but i wouldn't stress it.

gcses only matter for a levels, but after that they're meh. if you don't do math or english for a level, they'll look at your gcse results.

Bs and Cs aren't exactly bad? it's just a bit better than average. it's nothing to stress about really, hope this helps
throwaway3f5sa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by moeezstrm)
unless you're applying to oxford or cambridge for university, then gces are completely irrelevant. MAYBE you could bring it up as 'work ethic' in an interview or personal statement if you did well, but i wouldn't stress it.

gcses only matter for a levels, but after that they're meh. if you don't do math or english for a level, they'll look at your gcse results.

Bs and Cs aren't exactly bad? it's just a bit better than average. it's nothing to stress about really, hope this helps
Yeah, it's just hard coming to terms with the fact that whatever university you are applying to won't matter in the end. I guess just the idea of almost all my friends going to much better universities that's hard to swallow lol.
moeezstrm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by throwaway3f5sa)
Yeah, it's just hard coming to terms with the fact that whatever university you are applying to won't matter in the end. I guess just the idea of almost all my friends going to much better universities that's hard to swallow lol.
i wouldn't dwell on it too much. the way i see it is that while your friends got into better universities, you still worked hard and tried your best and even though it's not as good as harvard or oxford or whatever, you still got into uni and you should be proud of that. don't let someone else's acheivements overshadow your own : D

sounds cliche but whatever lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.09%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (50)
31.65%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (16)
10.13%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.13%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (39)
24.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.9%

Watched Threads