kupian
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I'm in Year 12 and doing Comp Sci, Maths and Physics. My current predicted grades are AAA which I'm hoping to get up to at least A*AA before the end of the term. I'm a part of the Oxbridge applicants programme at my school and I'm applying to study Computer Science. I noticed today that the Oxford website says 97% of students who get a place on the course did A-Level further maths. My teacher says that if I were to start further maths next year it would take me two years to do it, so I would have to stay on for Year 14. Is this worth doing? I have my heart set on taking a gap year so I'd start uni two years after everyone else, which isn't too bad, but if I don't get into Oxford then it would all have been for nothing. If I decide not to do it, should I apply anyway with my current A-Levels or use that choice on a uni I'm more likely to get into? Many thanks.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) If it is not a 'required subject', then just because X% of applicants had Further Maths doesnt mean you need FM or that it gives you an advantage - just that those applicants were doing both subjects. Maths and FM is naturally a very common subject combo.

2) The obvious problem you have is that only doing 1 A level in 'Y14' is not a 'full study load' - you can't just stay at school as a part-timer. Talk to your Head of 6th Form rather than the subject teacher to clarify this.

3) Anyone attempting more than 3 A level subjects runs the risk of doing badly in all their subjects - no Uni requires more than 3 subjects, so its better to concentrate on high grades in 3 subjects than messing it up and getting 4 lower grades . AAA will always look better than ABBB.
kupian
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
1) If it is not a 'required subject', then just because X% of applicants had Further Maths doesnt mean you need FM or that it gives you an advantage - just that those applicants were doing both subjects. Maths and FM is naturally a very common subject combo.

2) The obvious problem you have is that only doing 1 A level in 'Y14' is not a 'full study load' - you can't just stay at school as a part-timer. Talk to your Head of 6th Form rather than the subject teacher to clarify this.

3) Anyone attempting more than 3 A level subjects runs the risk of doing badly in all their subjects - no Uni requires more than 3 subjects, so its better to concentrate on high grades in 3 subjects than messing it up and getting 4 lower grades . AAA will always look better than ABBB.
Thanks, I’ll just continue with the application then and try to be in the 3%. My maths teacher is also the head of sixth form so I’m assuming there must be a way to just study one subject otherwise he wouldn’t have suggested it, but maybe I misheard. And I definitely agree with the last part of your response; the reason I only picked 3 from the beginning was because I wanted to focus on getting good grades in three as opposed to average grades in four.
Last edited by kupian; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads