abroad during alevel results day what to do?

Watch
laiba03r
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
my parents are planning to go abroad and will not return until after my results day.. will there be any problems that will occour if i am not in the uk to collect my results. and can someone pick my results for me?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your school will have a plan for this - people are away on results day every year - but not all schools have the same system so contact your school and ask. It's normally fine unless you don't get the grades you need for university in which case you need to take advice (probably from your school) and decide whether to appeal your grades, go through clearing, contact the university etc. This is much harder if you're abroad with a poor connection.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you holding a University offer, or are you still in Y12?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ask the school to make alternative plans.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by laiba03r)
my parents are planning to go abroad and will not return until after my results day.. will there be any problems that will occour if i am not in the uk to collect my results. and can someone pick my results for me?
This is not a great idea - can they reschedule given COVID?

What if you end up in clearing or can't get back to the UK?
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At my school, a level results day is all online...
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you get the results you need for uni then it should be fine, I'm sure you college could post them out or let you collect later if you need. If you can get some decent wi-fi then it would be best to at least log into track on the day to check that your place has become unconditional, or if you can get another family member to pick them up and ring you the grades to give you an idea of if you've got your place.

The bigger problem might be if you don't get into your uni choice(s). Then having your results to hand and being able to ring around the unis would be advantageous, as the best clearing places can fill up quick. Again if you can get someone to collect for you and ring you with the grades, then you could go on holiday with your laptop and find some wi-fi to check clearing. Research all the unis you'd be interested in ringing before the holiday and make sure your phone has a good data plan for abroad.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Caz1234567)
At my school, a level results day is all online...
And that's fine for most people but if you don't get the grades you want to talk to someone about what to do next and this can be difficult if you're half way up a mountain in Peru.
laiba03r
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Are you holding a University offer, or are you still in Y12?
I’m in year 13 and yes I have currently holding offers
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by laiba03r)
I’m in year 13 and yes I have currently holding offers
Then you need to be somewhere you can access the internet and a reliable phone.
Firstly you will need to check Track at 8am UK time to see your status - ie. accepted by Firm or Insurance, or in Clearing.
If you are in Clearing you will then need to get your actual results from your school, and then start phoning other Unis for a Clearing place.

This is *why* its advised that you are not 'on holiday' om Results Day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads