BabeW/OThePower
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I've just finished my undergrad in Creative Writing and English Literature. I did that degree mainly because I was told by my old head of sixth form not to do anything psychology related, as it is too competitive (which is a fair point), so I chose something both academic and creative to keep my options somewhat open. However, now that I've finished, I actually feel more ambitious.

I've always felt like a career in psychotherapy would suit me down to the ground, so I am considering a conversion course (Master's, preferably online, as part time allows me to work as a volunteer near where I currently live).

I suppose my main question is whether the Psychology MSc courses would be the best next step in this journey(?). Would I need a more specific Counselling Psychology MSc? Or does it not particularly matter? (I currently have my eyes on Glasgow, Manchester, and Northumbria). Would I definitely need a Master's? (I assume so, at least).

If I were to complete such a MSc, how difficult will it be to find a job? I'm well aware of how difficult it is for those interested in clinical psychology. Would it be just as tough for a counselling psychologist?

Should I scrap this idea altogether (which I am reluctant to do) and go with a plan B (go into teaching)?

Peace and love!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to be a counsellor then take a BACP accredited course https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Courses

If you want to be a clinical psychologist then that's a different career path altogether

If you want to be a PWP then that's another option https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...g-practitioner

I think you need to do a bit more research into the exact careers available in therapy/counselling and work out which one is your dream option and then work out a training path backwards from there
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes PQ is quite right. There are so many ways of doing counselling, and for many of them you can start your masters long after you've started practising. Something that might be worthwhile is contacting a few of the counsellors in your area to see if they would be able to tell you what path they have taken to get where they are today, just to get some idea of the career paths out there.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BabeW/OThePower)
Hi all,

I've just finished my undergrad in Creative Writing and English Literature. I did that degree mainly because I was told by my old head of sixth form not to do anything psychology related, as it is too competitive (which is a fair point), so I chose something both academic and creative to keep my options somewhat open. However, now that I've finished, I actually feel more ambitious.

I've always felt like a career in psychotherapy would suit me down to the ground, so I am considering a conversion course (Master's, preferably online, as part time allows me to work as a volunteer near where I currently live).

I suppose my main question is whether the Psychology MSc courses would be the best next step in this journey(?). Would I need a more specific Counselling Psychology MSc? Or does it not particularly matter? (I currently have my eyes on Glasgow, Manchester, and Northumbria). Would I definitely need a Master's? (I assume so, at least).

If I were to complete such a MSc, how difficult will it be to find a job? I'm well aware of how difficult it is for those interested in clinical psychology. Would it be just as tough for a counselling psychologist?

Should I scrap this idea altogether (which I am reluctant to do) and go with a plan B (go into teaching)?

Peace and love!
Be aware that psychology and psychotherapy are not the same thing and there are different routes into each field. You might not need a psychology degree to go into psychotherapy, for instance.

As mentioned above, look at BACP courses for counselling (level 2, 3 and 4 will be needed). Once you qualify as a counsellor, you can do further training in different areas of psychotherapy. This is just one way into the field. You can also do an MA in counselling & psychotherapy, which is a 3 year course and leads to qualified counsellor status.

If you want to go into clinical or counselling psychology, you will need a BPS accredited BSc degree in psychology (or conversion) and to then complete a professional doctorate program.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads