The Student Room Group

St. Andrews v. Edinburgh (Econ)

I am an international student who currently holds offers from both St. Andrews and Edinburgh for an MSc in econ. I've heard conflicting things about which one is more prestigious - consensus generally lying with St. Andrews (especially with student satisfaction), but it doesn't show up on any international rankings. Since it's a one year course, I'm not too worried about the city, but I'd like some help deciding which uni to pick. Thank you!
Reply 1
St Andrews is more prestigeous by far, has much better reputiation, the fact that royal family members such as Prince William attended it helps a lot too! Most amazing teachers, especially in social sciences such as econ have taught there too! The town is also asbolutely amazing and something worth experiencing and because it's smaller it has a bigger sense of community too! I'd choose St Andrews by far!
Reply 2
Original post by kwtkwsk
St Andrews is more prestigeous by far, has much better reputiation, the fact that royal family members such as Prince William attended it helps a lot too! Most amazing teachers, especially in social sciences such as econ have taught there too! The town is also asbolutely amazing and something worth experiencing and because it's smaller it has a bigger sense of community too! I'd choose St Andrews by far!

Thanks so, so much for replying!
Original post by vanshikaaa
I am an international student who currently holds offers from both St. Andrews and Edinburgh for an MSc in econ. I've heard conflicting things about which one is more prestigious - consensus generally lying with St. Andrews (especially with student satisfaction), but it doesn't show up on any international rankings. Since it's a one year course, I'm not too worried about the city, but I'd like some help deciding which uni to pick. Thank you!

The problem is that St Andrews is pretty much ONLY prestigious because Prince William went there. Before that it was just a decent mid to high ranking Uni. Edinburgh has a much longer standing and broad reputation. So if you are going to be employed by a royalist, go for St Andrews, but for international use Edinburgh has a more robust rep. Better still make an academic decision.
Original post by vanshikaaa

Both are prestigious institutions :smile: I believe St A has the highest ranking for student satisfaction in the UK but Edinburgh is bigger (and a RG uni). I would look at the course descriptions and see which one fits your interests better. Either will look good on your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending