The Student Room Group

Mature Student?(21) Career Change - How to go about funding & who can I talk to?

I really need advice. I tried two different uni courses 2018&2019 and dropped out ultimately due to mental health issues, personal circumstances, a massive lack of confidence in myself and also largely not being able to do the course I wanted at my desired Uni due to my A level results (BCD in Maths, Psychology, Law). I wanted to be a secondary school Mathematics teacher. I am now in a much more stable position and feel I have the confidence and ability to achieve this, I'm just not sure how to make it physically/ financially possible. I've almost finished a level 4 apprenticeship in Software Development which I took in an effort to find out what kind of career I could start to make for myself but ultimately it's just not fulfilling; I want to teach, and I love maths. I am now 21 and have wasted 2 years of student finance, and am about to have a mortgage costing £500p/m. Does anyone know if it's at all possible for me to find an entry route into secondary school teaching now; with financial responsibilities, no savings and -2 years of student finance eligibility?
Original post by imogenmrly
I really need advice. I tried two different uni courses 2018&2019 and dropped out ultimately due to mental health issues, personal circumstances, a massive lack of confidence in myself and also largely not being able to do the course I wanted at my desired Uni due to my A level results (BCD in Maths, Psychology, Law). I wanted to be a secondary school Mathematics teacher. I am now in a much more stable position and feel I have the confidence and ability to achieve this, I'm just not sure how to make it physically/ financially possible. I've almost finished a level 4 apprenticeship in Software Development which I took in an effort to find out what kind of career I could start to make for myself but ultimately it's just not fulfilling; I want to teach, and I love maths. I am now 21 and have wasted 2 years of student finance, and am about to have a mortgage costing £500p/m. Does anyone know if it's at all possible for me to find an entry route into secondary school teaching now; with financial responsibilities, no savings and -2 years of student finance eligibility?

You do need a degree to become a teacher, so you'll have to find a way to make that happen.

You could look into an Open University degree that can be done part-time and is cheaper in terms of tuition fees. On their website, it also says they may accept credit transfers from other universities, so you could look into this. Following that, you would be able to do a PGCE - for which you can get tuition fee / maintenance loan regardless of how much Student Finance have already given you. And if the bursaries are still a thing then, you would be entitled to a tax-free bursary, which could help financially.

Some universities also offer a Secondary Mathematics Education undergraduate degree that comes with QTS - I know Edge Hill does this. With this route, you would only need to spend 3 years in university before you are qualified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending