A first from a non RG uni in Law: zero legal experience

Watch
tryingtodolaw
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know Law is an oversaturated field and various difficulties crossing the barriers. I mean I know firms lately are dropping A-Level grades which I definitely don't match but I'm conscious still. I feel like my first will already be undermined not just because it's in an non RG uni, but that it's been online and during Covid. I've already been rejected a few years back for volunteering for the CAB (in hindsight I understand why, I was way too nervous) and I'm unsure how else to get experience. Local firms won't recruit and I've tried applying online for any sort of legal job. Does anyone have any advice?
Last edited by tryingtodolaw; 1 month ago
Tinders
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bright network is running online 3-day commercial law internships. I have 0 legal work experience and am yet to graduate and I was accepted. Have a look at that.
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tryingtodolaw)
I know Law is an oversaturated field and various difficulties crossing the barriers. I mean I know firms lately are dropping A-Level grades which I definitely don't match but I'm conscious still. I feel like my first will already be undermined not just because it's in an non RG uni, but that it's been online and during Covid. I've already been rejected a few years back for volunteering for the CAB (in hindsight I understand why, I was way too nervous) and I'm unsure how else to get experience. Local firms won't recruit and I've tried applying online for any sort of legal job. Does anyone have any advice?
Do a couple of online internships (Forage, Legal Cheek, Bright Network, Rare (?) all have them and they're free).
Reapply to CAB.
See if you can apply to volunteer in any of your university's pro bono partnerships (this is probably not going to be allowed but it's worth a try).
Consider looking at other law-adjacement roles like consulting, paralegalling, 'legal tech'. Also look for in-house training contracts which are rare but sometimes advertised externally.
There are probably some law firms or companies that would consider you for fixed-term paralegal jobs even without any paralegalling experience. You should spend a morning signing up to all of them and maybe even emailing them to help get a sense of where you stand with regard to that. List: https://www.reddit.com/r/uklaw/comme...ment_agencies/
Oh - also, try applying for document review roles, they're a lot less difficult to get because they're often very short term
Last edited by Johnny ~; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads