?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello folks,
I am stuck between choosing from following universities:
1. Cardiff
2. QU belfast
3. Surrey
4. Durham

My intended program is MSc. Finance. I am inclined more towards Surrey because it is offering placement option but i am worried since Durham and Cardiff has a better reputation and are Russell groups as well.
Can anyone guide me which investment banks and big companies hire most graduates from? Are these 4 above mentioned worth attending? I am a little worried because i am an international student and i want to make the most out of this this PSW opportunity.

TIA!
AW_1983
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by usmaan.asiff)
Hello folks,
1. Cardiff
2. QU belfast
3. Surrey
4. Durham

My intended program is MSc. Finance. I am inclined more towards Surrey because it is offering placement option but i am worried since Durham and Cardiff has a better reputation and are Russell groups as well.
Can anyone guide me which investment banks and big companies hire most graduates from? Are these 4 above mentioned worth attending? I am a little worried because i am an international student and i want to make the most out of this this PSW opportunity.

TIA!
My advice is none of the above for the following reasons:

Cardiff - Too far away from London, inconvenient to have to relocate for internships and the bigger events hosted in London by IB employers;
Durham - Same, even though it's a semi-target university;
Surrey - Good proximity to London but not that prestigious for Finance. You'll end up paying a small fortune in rent and unlike other universities in proximity to the banks it won't be worth it;
Belfast - We have a Government that is pursuing a Brexit policy that put a border down the Irish Sea. Things are tense in Northern Ireland at the moment and I wouldn't recommend being in the middle of it.

The targets in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick. If you can go to one of these do so and I would recommend a London one for convenience, assuming you can afford the rent.

Assuming - like me - you can't then I would recommend CASS, SOAS and - maybe - Reading.
usmaan.asiff
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
(Original post by conorjpd1)
Agreed with the above.

I am currently working at the National Audit Office and studying part-time at UOB. Not exactly the same thing that you're looking to get into but my thoughts are below:

Cardiff - I would deffo rule this one out. Same reasons as above. I don't think it's the right place to be

Durham - Employers do target this university. A lot of people I work with have studied here.

Surrey - Good university and close to London.

Belfast - Slightly disagree with above. Brexit will not affect your studies in Northern Ireland. Yes, things are politically tense there now but if you believe QU is best then I wouldn't let that put you off.

Overall, I would say Durham or Surrey but as mentioned above if you can get into those other universities then that would be ideal.

When are you applying for? 2021/21?

I might be able to put you in contact with some students who have studied that course previously.

I'll drop you DM.
Thanks for the feedback!
What abuut strathclyde or loughborough? These two are well known for Accounting and Finance subjects.
Aethomson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I live in NI and though the above posts say it’s a “politically tense environment” it’s basically unnoticeable unless it’s directly affecting you, which it won’t be as you’re an international student. I wouldn’t consider that when making your decisions.
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst none of these are elite unis for finance, I think Durham is the clear choice. It's by far the most prestigious of these unis and is actually somewhat decent at Finance, much better than it is for Econ. It's a long way from London but I still reckon it'll give you the best prospects.

In terms of the uni in Northern Ireland, QUB isn't even in the area that can get remotely tense, that area is very peaceful and was even peaceful during the troubles. It's the other areas of Belfast which are less desirable, not South Belfast where the university is.
usmaan.asiff
Rep:
?
(Original post by conorjpd1)
For accounting and Finance then it's Strathclyde university. That's ranked the highest for that Accounting and Finance.

Overall Loughborough is ranked higher.

Although, these are all good universities and investment firms and companies and organisations will have a mix of graduates from all of these universities.

I did not study at a Russell Group university. I did get into the University of Liverpool but I wanted to stay in Birmingham.

Although a lot of people I work with at the National Audit Office did go to Russell Group universities.

Do you meet the requirements to get into all of these universities? Or are you just doing some general research?
Well i am doing general research as for now, but i am sure i meet requirements for most of these universities.
The problem is I can't afford the universities like LSE, imperial because of their high tuition fees. That's why i want to keep other options as mentioned.
usmaan.asiff
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Whilst none of these are elite unis for finance, I think Durham is the clear choice. It's by far the most prestigious of these unis and is actually somewhat decent at Finance, much better than it is for Econ. It's a long way from London but I still reckon it'll give you the best prospects.

In terms of the uni in Northern Ireland, QUB isn't even in the area that can get remotely tense, that area is very peaceful and was even peaceful during the troubles. It's the other areas of Belfast which are less desirable, not South Belfast where the university is.
Thanks mate!
Can you tell me which universities are very well reputed for Finance and highly targeted by the employers except for LSE, Warwick, LBS because they are expensive. I can't afford to go there.
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Durham is the clear choice
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks mate!
Can you tell me which universities are very well reputed for Finance and highly targeted by the employers except for LSE, Warwick, LBS because they are expensive. I can't afford to go there.
The very reputable ones other than LSE, Warwick and LBS are Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial. After these it's probably Manchester Business School, Cass, Edinburgh and Durham but these are significantly less reputable than the top6
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello folks,
1. Cardiff
2. QU belfast
3. Surrey
4. Durham

TIA!
Hi there

It's a very difficult decision choosing what university to attend, however some tips I have is to look closer into each course, the modules etc. From there, have a general idea of what course you like better, what modules appeal to you more. You can also look at the university itself, compare the universities based on facilities, support or literally anything you think is important to you for a university to have, You can have a look at accommodation or the town. That way you are taking into account many factors that may help you decide. I would also suggest speaking to your family and friends about each university and see which one you're more passionate about when speaking to them.

I hope this helps, and if you do have any questions or would like some more information about Surrey, please let me know!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Loughborough Postgraduate Study
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the feedback!
What abuut strathclyde or loughborough? These two are well known for Accounting and Finance subjects.
Hi usmaan.asiff :hello:

It's great that you're considering studying MSc Finance at Loughborough!

There's lots of factors to consider when it comes to making a university decision. Perhaps have a think and weigh up the importance of each to you and what it is you want from a university, to help narrow down your decision These factors could include...

Course - look carefully at the topics and modules you will study on the programme. Would you be happy studying all of them? A degree is a big commitment, so it's important that you will be happy studying the course for its entire duration. You might also consider the course's reputation, accreditation, facilities and career opportunities post-study.

Student support - take a look at the support services available at the university to ensure they have everything you may need to succeed during your studies. Our Careers Network is here to help you capitalise on your postgraduate studies by providing the very best information, advice, guidance and events for your future career, and the University ranked 1st in the UK for employer-student connections in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020. Graduates from our MSc Finance typically work in investment banking, corporate finance, accountancy and asset management. Many have ambitions to then reach senior manager, assistant vice-president or director level positions within 10 years.

Example initial roles include portfolio analyst, financial management trainee, investment banker, treasury analyst, financial market trader, equity researcher and corporate finance associate.

Our alumni are highly sought after and work with a range of organisations, including many major global banks, large business and the "Big Four" accountancy firms:
  • HSBC
  • Morgan Stanley
  • JP Morgan
  • Chase
  • UBS
  • Standard Chartered
  • DHL
  • Scottish and Southern Energy
  • Virgin

Location - Would you prefer a city or a university market town like Loughborough? What are the transport links like if you want to travel? Loughborough is well-connected by road, rail and air, and offers everything you need as a student and more within easy reach, offering a friendly, close-knit community environment.

Campus - linked to location, what sort of campus would you prefer? At Loughborough, we have a stunning 440-acre single-site campus to call home, with everything you need as a student and more, including green open spaces, landscaped gardens, woodlands, academic buildings, accommodation, sports and leisure facilities, the Students' Union, and a variety of restaurants, shops, bars and cafes.

Accommodation - would you prefer to live on or off campus, and what options are there? At Loughborough, we have three self-catered halls of residence available for postgraduates, either on or a short walk from campus. There's also a wide range of private accommodation available too within easy reach of campus.

Student experience - what extra-curricular activities and opportunities are there for you to get involved with to meet new people and develop your skills? For example, we have lots of opportunities available with the Students' Union, LU Arts and Loughborough Sport.

I hope this helps! You'll find lots more information at our online prospectus, including reasons to study here and student stories. You can also find independent student reviews on StudentCrowd.

All the best!
-Dan
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With all due respect to Surrey and Loughborough, these are not even places you should be considering
Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello folks,
1. Cardiff
2. QU belfast
3. Surrey
4. Durham

TIA!
Hi Usmaan.assif,

All of those are great universitites so it all depends on what you want from your experience. QUB is a Russell Group unviersity right in the middle of a growing regional capital. Belfast is a great city to live in, whereas Durham and Surrey are more campus based according to friends. Unfortunately, I dont know much about studying finance but I have done an undergrad and am going onto do a masters here.
https://www.qub.ac.uk/Study/chat-with-students/
Above is the link to cvhat with our student ambassadors, who I am sure could help you more on the content of the course.
I hope this helps,

Thanks,
Team Queen's,
Charlotte, Third year, English and History
usmaan.asiff
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Bull)
With all due respect to Surrey and Loughborough, these are not even places you should be considering
why not?
John Bull
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why not?
Durham's business school significantly ahead of the others mentioned. That's the main reason. Consult rankings like FT and others.

Loughborough is a good uni, not criticising the place.
usmaan.asiff
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Bull)
Durham's business school significantly ahead of the others mentioned. That's the main reason. Consult rankings like FT and others.

Loughborough is a good uni, not criticising the place.
is lancaster a good option among these unis?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (50)
28.41%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.95%
No I am happy with my choice (98)
55.68%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.95%

Watched Threads