How much do Oxford look at predicted A-Level grades?

Watch
15con46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Specifically for chemistry, I got better predicted grades than I was expecting (3 A*) and I was wondering if this would decrease other parts of a potential application i make like the personal statement or any interviews i get?
thanks
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
is a bit out of date but hopefully its still somewhat relevant. They still will care about gcses a lot but don't rly care about the personal statement.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 15con46)
Specifically for chemistry, I got better predicted grades than I was expecting (3 A*) and I was wondering if this would decrease other parts of a potential application i make like the personal statement or any interviews i get?
thanks
You mean whether this will lower the threshold for how competitive the other parts of your application need to be?

As username4215970 has pointed out, the ATs will be grading your application against a set of criteria, and some elements of an application will be given heigher weighting than others. In a blog, LMH Principal, Alan Rusbridger, once described how some candidates applications were so strong that, by the time of interview, they would have been offered a place simply for stating their name correctly.

Predicted A* grades are generally given high weighting, so 3A*s is a great start. Conversely, your PS is unlikely to weigh so heavily, as these are quite liable to be coached and written to suggest a spurious "excellence".

Having said that, the competition for Oxford is so high that no part of your application can be weak. And just to add an element of randomness, weighting is not uniform between subjects or from year to year.
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I doubt it makes much difference for the simple reason that the majority of applicants exceed the grade requirements and the university is aware that these grades are predicted and often inaccurate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (38)
28.79%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (73)
55.3%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
6.82%

Watched Threads