Worried about Mum/Financial Worries

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For context - I am 14yrs old so still in education and we have never been 100% financially stable.
We moved house in October halfway across the country because of my education and my dad's work. My mum currently has 2 jobs. She is leaving one of her jobs at the end of the month as it is too far away for her to carry on (this is the job she had where we used to live). She has another job, however, she dislikes it so much she's put in her week's notice and is leaving next Monday. This is going to leave her without a job and, although this is the best thing for her (she has had a mental health decline from her work), we're really worried financially. Due to her resigning she can't apply for benefits and Dad's job pay can't cover everything we do as a family.
What do we do? Dad's pay can't keep us going forever but Mum really needs a break as I'm really worried that something will happen to her. She deserves so much more than what she's getting. I'm currently paying for small luxuries (coffee, cakes, clothes, etc) and I'm looking for summer jobs, however, not many people want to employ a 14-year-old. Also, I can't do Saturday work because I have Saturday school and my school day Monday-Friday is 8 am-7 pm. Luckily, the cost of my schooling is covered and we're able to not worry about that as much. However, this is terrifying for us. We're not right on the verge, we can still afford a house and a car, but I'm worried that we might not be able to. I just need some advice on how to help Mum financially, mentally, and emotionally, and how to get a job over the summer that allows 14-year-olds who does decent pay to cover the forthcoming winter. Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
For context - I am 14yrs old so still in education and we have never been 100% financially stable.
We moved house in October halfway across the country because of my education and my dad's work. My mum currently has 2 jobs. She is leaving one of her jobs at the end of the month as it is too far away for her to carry on (this is the job she had where we used to live). She has another job, however, she dislikes it so much she's put in her week's notice and is leaving next Monday. This is going to leave her without a job and, although this is the best thing for her (she has had a mental health decline from her work), we're really worried financially. Due to her resigning she can't apply for benefits and Dad's job pay can't cover everything we do as a family.
What do we do? Dad's pay can't keep us going forever but Mum really needs a break as I'm really worried that something will happen to her. She deserves so much more than what she's getting. I'm currently paying for small luxuries (coffee, cakes, clothes, etc) and I'm looking for summer jobs, however, not many people want to employ a 14-year-old. Also, I can't do Saturday work because I have Saturday school and my school day Monday-Friday is 8 am-7 pm. Luckily, the cost of my schooling is covered and we're able to not worry about that as much. However, this is terrifying for us. We're not right on the verge, we can still afford a house and a car, but I'm worried that we might not be able to. I just need some advice on how to help Mum financially, mentally, and emotionally, and how to get a job over the summer that allows 14-year-olds who does decent pay to cover the forthcoming winter. Thanks
I'm really sorry you and your family are going through this, I can't even imagine how stressful it must be. I would first just like to say that while I know it may feel like it, it isn't your responsibility to provide money for your family, so don't feel guilty if you can't. In terms of getting a job, I doubt there will be anywhere that will pay any more than the minimum wage for 16 year-olds, which is £4.62 an hour. The main benefit of hiring you (from an employers point of view) is that there is no minimum wage for your age. I would suggest finding places which hire 14 year old's, and then handing in a CV or approaching these places about a job. Ask around, the best way to get a job at that age is if you have any connections, my friend worked in a hotel when she was 14 as it was her friends mum who was the manager. Keep in mind that there is restrictions to how many hours you can work, here is the link to the government website with more information about that https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment . Another way to make money yourself could be by selling things online, I sold some of my old clothes and stuff that I got from charity shops (I know that sounds bad but I was desperate for money at the time) on eBay and made a couple hundred pounds. Also this could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if someone leaves their job due to mental health issues they can claim some form of benefits, however, I'm sure they would have to have a diagnosis, so maybe ask your mum about that. I hope your families situation gets better, again, I'm really sorry, you're so young to be dealing with this.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm really sorry you and your family are going through this, I can't even imagine how stressful it must be. I would first just like to say that while I know it may feel like it, it isn't your responsibility to provide money for your family, so don't feel guilty if you can't. In terms of getting a job, I doubt there will be anywhere that will pay any more than the minimum wage for 16 year-olds, which is £4.62 an hour. The main benefit of hiring you (from an employers point of view) is that there is no minimum wage for your age. I would suggest finding places which hire 14 year old's, and then handing in a CV or approaching these places about a job. Ask around, the best way to get a job at that age is if you have any connections, my friend worked in a hotel when she was 14 as it was her friends mum who was the manager. Keep in mind that there is restrictions to how many hours you can work, here is the link to the government website with more information about that https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment . Another way to make money yourself could be by selling things online, I sold some of my old clothes and stuff that I got from charity shops (I know that sounds bad but I was desperate for money at the time) on eBay and made a couple hundred pounds. Also this could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if someone leaves their job due to mental health issues they can claim some form of benefits, however, I'm sure they would have to have a diagnosis, so maybe ask your mum about that. I hope your families situation gets better, again, I'm really sorry, you're so young to be dealing with this.
Thank you so so much this is so helpful, I've got a few things I was looking to give to charity so I will try to sell them. Thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed