The Student Room Group

Teach First 2022 Applications

Hi everyone,

This feels a little bit early but I couldn't find a pre-existing thread and I just submitted my early application for Teach First in 2022 so thought I'd create this thread for people to discuss applications and share experiences!

Maybe to start people can say what region they're hoping to be placed in, and what subject area they're looking to teach?

I'm hoping for either Primary in the South West, or Music in London (only area where this is taught). I'm London-based right now and, as much as I love my home city, I'd quite like to relocate for Teach First as I don't think I'd enjoy living in London on a trainee teacher's salary, and I'd also love to try living somewhere a bit different. This is why I've chosen Primary over my degree subject of Music, as that sadly isn't an option in any region but London. I'm also a bit worried that Secondary students would eat me! South West is my region of choice because various friends and family live around there, but the region is HUGE - Cornwall to Reading to Gloucestershire to Bristol :O - so I'm a little nervous I'll end up in the absolute sticks. Either way, it'll be an adventure, and it's only two years of being in one location so I'm not too bothered.

I only submitted my application today so I'll probably have to wait a while to hear back, but I'm already impatiently checking my emails.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LamantChenille
Hi everyone,

This feels a little bit early but I couldn't find a pre-existing thread and I just submitted my early application for Teach First in 2022 so thought I'd create this thread for people to discuss applications and share experiences!

Maybe to start people can say what region they're hoping to be placed in, and what subject area they're looking to teach?

I'm hoping for either Primary in the South West, or Music in London (only area where this is taught). I'm London-based right now and, as much as I love my home city, I'd quite like to relocate for Teach First as I don't think I'd enjoy living in London on a trainee teacher's salary, and I'd also love to try living somewhere a bit different. This is why I've chosen Primary over my degree subject of Music, as that sadly isn't an option in any region but London. I'm also a bit worried that Secondary students would eat me! South West is my region of choice because various friends and family live around there, but the region is HUGE - Cornwall to Reading to Gloucestershire to Bristol :O - so I'm a little nervous I'll end up in the absolute sticks. Either way, it'll be an adventure, and it's only two years of being in one location so I'm not too bothered.

I only submitted my application today so I'll probably have to wait a while to hear back, but I'm already impatiently checking my emails.

Why are you picking TF?
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you picking TF?

Because I can't afford to do a PGCE, and honestly don't really fancy it. I like the idea of starting from Day 1, and especially earning a salary immediately is something I absolutely have to be able to do. I also have a friend doing Teach First at the moment (about to complete her first year) and she's really enjoying it. I know it's absolutely not for everyone, but I think it will suit me well. :smile:
Because I can't afford to do a PGCE, and honestly don't really fancy it. I like the idea of starting from Day 1, and especially earning a salary immediately is something I absolutely have to be able to do. I also have a friend doing Teach First at the moment (about to complete her first year) and she's really enjoying it. I know it's absolutely not for everyone, but I think it will suit me well. :smile:

It's not a well-regarded route by practising teachers - it's not good being in the classroom straight away. Can't you get a bursary/student fininace for a PGCE? They are other routes I would consider too.
Original post by Muttley79
It's not a well-regarded route by practising teachers - it's not good being in the classroom straight away. Can't you get a bursary/student fininace for a PGCE? They are other routes I would consider too.

The maximum bursary for a PGCE is £9000 in my area, and student finance isn't an option for me personally. £9000 just isn't enough to live on, let alone pay for fees as well, so frankly there aren't many other options. Teach First is by no means a perfect route into teaching, but it is a lot more accessible. I currently work as a TA part-time so already have a decent amount of classroom experience, and am comfortable going in straight away. Frankly, every teacher I work with has recommended it to me and said that it would be a good move, so I think your sweeping statement that "it's not a well-regarded route" is a little broad here. Of course there are downsides, and of course some people have a bad experience, but there are many teachers who have had very successful careers post-Teach First.
The maximum bursary for a PGCE is £9000 in my area, and student finance isn't an option for me personally. £9000 just isn't enough to live on, let alone pay for fees as well, so frankly there aren't many other options. Teach First is by no means a perfect route into teaching, but it is a lot more accessible. I currently work as a TA part-time so already have a decent amount of classroom experience, and am comfortable going in straight away. Frankly, every teacher I work with has recommended it to me and said that it would be a good move, so I think your sweeping statement that "it's not a well-regarded route" is a little broad here. Of course there are downsides, and of course some people have a bad experience, but there are many teachers who have had very successful careers post-Teach First.

I spend a lot of time being seconded to help teachers failed by TF - it is not well-regarded in any of the schools local to me. What about other paid routes into teaching?
Hey! I have also just applied in the early application period. I am applying for secondary English. The region is Yorkshire.
Like you, I also cannot afford other routes into ITT. English used to have a 12k bursary, which got removed for 2021 intake and the student loan of 9k is not nearly enough to live on. My part time wage is more than that which I get alongside my student finance!
I chose Yorkshire as I have to stay local to where I am currently, I have children in school here and my own house. I know it isn’t guaranteed to receive your preferred region, but a higher chance with commitments in the area.
The salaried school direct routes are so difficult to get, even for those with years worth of experience in the classroom as they also cut down on those and honestly, even the salary as an unqualified teacher on the school direct routes just isn’t enough for me. You’re often paid 18k and it can be a pro rata of that over 4 days as you’re training 1 day per week.
I was gutted when they removed the bursaries, but it is what is and cannot control or change that.
I do like TF idea too. I agree strongly with their vision about the inequality in education.

Now just to constantly check my emails to see if I have got through 🤞🤞
Hi Wow surprised music is only taught in London omg. Yes lots of burseries cut. Not good. Good luck to you both. Congrats by the way actually applying. I started applying on UCAS but need to find it and with COVID etc. Could not get any experience although worked in lots of schools in past and got turned down for teacher training, so not sure the right thing. However will look at teach first was looking at school direct part time and or teacher training pt. Also want to do law and or something else. Lost my house and lots happened. We will see in time if the right thing or not if get accepted or not. I’ve seen a catering assistant job pays more than anything but again not sure or anything tbh. Life throws so many lemons very deflated. Anyway good luck to you both. Stay safe
Original post by Rachgriffs
Hey! I have also just applied in the early application period. I am applying for secondary English. The region is Yorkshire.
Like you, I also cannot afford other routes into ITT. English used to have a 12k bursary, which got removed for 2021 intake and the student loan of 9k is not nearly enough to live on. My part time wage is more than that which I get alongside my student finance!
I chose Yorkshire as I have to stay local to where I am currently, I have children in school here and my own house. I know it isn’t guaranteed to receive your preferred region, but a higher chance with commitments in the area.
The salaried school direct routes are so difficult to get, even for those with years worth of experience in the classroom as they also cut down on those and honestly, even the salary as an unqualified teacher on the school direct routes just isn’t enough for me. You’re often paid 18k and it can be a pro rata of that over 4 days as you’re training 1 day per week.
I was gutted when they removed the bursaries, but it is what is and cannot control or change that.
I do like TF idea too. I agree strongly with their vision about the inequality in education.

Now just to constantly check my emails to see if I have got through 🤞🤞

Haha I’m the exact same with the emails! I think generally you’ve got a much higher chance of being placed in your preferred location with an early application as they fill places on a rolling basis. Fingers crossed we both find out soon!
Hi! I have also applied for 2022, to teach secondary history. Got an email a few days ago inviting me to the development centre! I'm really nervous but also excited, so glad Ive submitted an early application if I don't get an offer I will have plenty of time to look for something else haha! Good luck guys!
Original post by Joanne2001
Hi! I have also applied for 2022, to teach secondary history. Got an email a few days ago inviting me to the development centre! I'm really nervous but also excited, so glad Ive submitted an early application if I don't get an offer I will have plenty of time to look for something else haha! Good luck guys!

Ah great, congratulations! I’ve got a development centre in a couple of weeks too. Fingers crossed for both of us!

That’s amazing! Well done!! What date did you apply please and how long did it take for the invite? I am so anxious constantly checking my emails and wondering if I should expect the 20 working days as the time I should expect to hear
So I got my email today with an invite to the online development centre. Fingers crossed and good luck everyone 🤞🤞🤞
Reply 13
I’ve also just got an invitation to the development center! Mine is on the 16th and I’m so nervous… the teaching episode is so nerve wracking.
Original post by xngls
I’ve also just got an invitation to the development center! Mine is on the 16th and I’m so nervous… the teaching episode is so nerve wracking.

Have you had the 1 to 1 call with your recruitment officer?
I was really stressed but that call and the group workshop has really put me at ease!

They talked me through the teaching episode and it shouldn't be too bad at all x
Hey all! Does anyone have an idea when applications open for 2022? When I go on the website it states that they open later on this year but I am unsure as to when this will be. I am guessing your 'early applications' are different from applications made post July?
Original post by JackWillow00
Hey all! Does anyone have an idea when applications open for 2022? When I go on the website it states that they open later on this year but I am unsure as to when this will be. I am guessing your 'early applications' are different from applications made post July?

I think it’s around September/October time but not certain. The first applications opened in May but closed in June and that was the early window
Original post by Rachgriffs
I think it’s around September/October time but not certain. The first applications opened in May but closed in June and that was the early window

I found out its around mid-August but thank you! Have you had the DC yet? What is the application process like?

I have heard back today, (5 working days after my DC) that I have been successful and have been offered a place to start in 2022! Good luck to everyone else!!
Original post by JackWillow00
I found out its around mid-August but thank you! Have you had the DC yet? What is the application process like?

I had my DC last week (the 15th July). It’s a long day. I can’t say too much as they keep their process confidential to make it fair to all.

I will say though to really prepare for the competencies. Have examples, relate everything to their competencies. It’s a big part of the day.

Also, be specific in examples of things, don’t just say for example “oh I struggled with time keeping so I changed how I did it and planned and I did okay”. Really explain. Use their CAR structure (context, action, result) so you’re to the point but be specific about things.

Also, make sure you’re aware of their vision and values, why TF and what is important about them specifically as this goes hand in hand with competencies.

Be aware of self reflection and feedback. Take it on board.

Finally, be yourself and prepare the best you can.

There is a group on Facebook called “Aspiring Teachers forum” that has some good advice on there too, if you search Teach First in the group. Definitely worth joining if you have Facebook as so much useful advice in general.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest