The Student Room Group

Going to the doctor without parents knowing!

Hi everyone, I am in year 11, 16years old:
so for months now I have been feeling really low, I have a heavy feeling in my chest, as if someone is sat on my chest- I just feel so sad.
I have had family problems going on and I was seeking help in school but I have finished year 11 for summer now and so I no longer have that support.
TW: SH
I then began SH in November but I am 14 days clean and I really do not want to get back into that cycle again as I am aware of how bad it is. Because I am on my summer holidays now until September I do not have any support and my friends just don’t understand, so I was thinking about going to the doctors. However I don’t really know what the doctors can actually do? I am 16, I do not want to be referred to CAMHS, I would consider being put on medication but I do not want my parents to know. They do not know that I was seeing the school councillor, and the school (and no one) knew that I was SH.
1) So what can the doctors do?
2) Can I be prescribed medication without my parents knowing?
3) If I didn’t want my parents to know could I ask another adult to act as a carer?
Please help!! Thank you, and hope you are all doing well <33
Reply 1
At 16 and over you can have your own treatment with its own confidentiality (ie, they don’t have to tell your parents). They can treat you, but don’t expect to be prescribed medication immediately. Often GPs will opt for counselling or CBT first.
Reply 2
Original post by Mikos
At 16 and over you can have your own treatment with its own confidentiality (ie, they don’t have to tell your parents). They can treat you, but don’t expect to be prescribed medication immediately. Often GPs will opt for counselling or CBT first.

Who would the CBT or counselling be with? Would it be at the doctors or somewhere else like CAMHS?
Reply 3
Original post by Mikos

Actually, you're entitled to patient confidentiality regardless of your age. No health care professional is permitted to inform a parent/guardian/carer of one's visit to seek medical advice or treatment, irrespective of their condition. A health care professional is only permitted to inform the authorities if they suspect any form of mistreatment to one under 16, or older they believe their patient isn't compos mentis and hasn't the capacity to inform the authorities under their own accord. Lastly, a GP may prescribe medication immediately if their patient does not want to try CBT or therapy, or they believe that the delay in this treatment may cause more significant damage (I didn't and went straight onto Sertraline)

ANYWAY,

OP - To answer your questions in short.

1) No, your confidentiality will remain intact.
2) You can discuss with your GP about going straight onto medication, however, I would recommend researching some of the most commonly prescribed drugs such as Propranolol, Sertraline, and Fluoxetine. This will show to your GP that you understand the effect, side effects and risk of medication as well as showing maturity that you are willing to try them.

If you need any more help or have any more questions then DM me :smile:
OP, all your GP can do at your age is refer you to CAMHS, unfortunately. GPs will not prescribe an antidepressant to someone your age - this can only be done through CAMHS. But you absolutely can go and see your GP without a parent or adult present.

Original post by .Mark

2) You can discuss with your GP about going straight onto medication, however, I would recommend researching some of the most commonly prescribed drugs such as Propranolol, Sertraline, and Fluoxetine. This will show to your GP that you understand the effect, side effects and risk of medication as well as showing maturity that you are willing to try them.

The only antidepressant that is approved for use children is fluoxetine. And as I said above, GPs will not prescribe this without input from CAMHS.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I am in year 11, 16years old:
so for months now I have been feeling really low, I have a heavy feeling in my chest, as if someone is sat on my chest- I just feel so sad.
I have had family problems going on and I was seeking help in school but I have finished year 11 for summer now and so I no longer have that support.
TW: SH
I then began SH in November but I am 14 days clean and I really do not want to get back into that cycle again as I am aware of how bad it is. Because I am on my summer holidays now until September I do not have any support and my friends just don’t understand, so I was thinking about going to the doctors. However I don’t really know what the doctors can actually do? I am 16, I do not want to be referred to CAMHS, I would consider being put on medication but I do not want my parents to know. They do not know that I was seeing the school councillor, and the school (and no one) knew that I was SH.
1) So what can the doctors do?
2) Can I be prescribed medication without my parents knowing?
3) If I didn’t want my parents to know could I ask another adult to act as a carer?
Please help!! Thank you, and hope you are all doing well <33

You might find it useful to get in touch with Childline.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
OP, all your GP can do at your age is refer you to CAMHS, unfortunately. GPs will not prescribe an antidepressant to someone your age - this can only be done through CAMHS. But you absolutely can go and see your GP without a parent or adult present.

The only antidepressant that is approved for use children is fluoxetine. And as I said above, GPs will not prescribe this without input from CAMHS.

OP I wouldn't ever follow advice that is found on forums as I've said on numerous posts before that this forum can't, will never and shouldn't substitute a visit to your GP. I certainly wouldn't be taking advice from Black Tea anyway as their advice seems to be based on a Google search rather than clinical knowledge and education. For instance, Fluoxetine isn't the only medication available to you like said, Citalopram and Vortioxetine are also prescribed to children and teenagers. Your GP will advise you of the best treatment for your circumstances.

Take care.
Original post by .Mark
OP I wouldn't ever follow advice that is found on forums as I've said on numerous posts before that this forum can't, will never and shouldn't substitute a visit to your GP. I certainly wouldn't be taking advice from Black Tea anyway as their advice seems to be based on a Google search rather than clinical knowledge and education. For instance, Fluoxetine isn't the only medication available to you like said, Citalopram and Vortioxetine are also prescribed to children and teenagers. Your GP will advise you of the best treatment for your circumstances.

Take care.

Black Tea's advice is based on personal experience and a fair bit of research on the side.

Quick Reply

Latest