nataliegrig
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello. I am doing A levels in Biology, Maths and Art, in my year 12 in a state school in London. I always taught that Math was my favourite subject and had the idea of studying Psychology at UNI. At the beginning of my year 12 I really started thinking about Dentistry and specifically Orthodontics. Some research, along with my teachers put me off - as everyone said I needed both - Biology and Chemistry. I got a great Biology tutor now who is a King's college graduate and gave me a lot of hope for Dentistry. I am doing a lot of researches now for the past few weeks and I am very determined to do well. I only came across three Universities accepting Biology or Chemistry as an entry requirement - Queen Mary University, KCL and Bristol - Gateway to dentistry with foundation year.
I will be extremely grateful if any of you had been in similar situation and could give me an advice! Do I have a chance at this stage, do I have an option to do Chemistry independently next year, when I am year 13? I may qualify for a contextual offer and I am determined to do well in my UCAT exam. My parents are also paying for some 5 day apprenticeship in Dentistry, which I believe should be beneficial.
I hope my post is not too long for you
Thank a lot for your help in advance.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here is a list of dental school entry requirements. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...y-requirements

As you’ve mentioned, there are some dental schools which don’t require biology and chemistry so you don’t have to do both: my own clinical partner didn’t do biology and they’ve handled dental school as well as any other student.
nataliegrig
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Here is a list of dental school entry requirements. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...y-requirements

As you’ve mentioned, there are some dental schools which don’t require biology and chemistry so you don’t have to do both: my own clinical partner didn’t do biology and they’ve handled dental school as well as any other student.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Medic Mind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nataliegrig)
Hello. I am doing A levels in Biology, Maths and Art, in my year 12 in a state school in London. I always taught that Math was my favourite subject and had the idea of studying Psychology at UNI. At the beginning of my year 12 I really started thinking about Dentistry and specifically Orthodontics. Some research, along with my teachers put me off - as everyone said I needed both - Biology and Chemistry. I got a great Biology tutor now who is a King's college graduate and gave me a lot of hope for Dentistry. I am doing a lot of researches now for the past few weeks and I am very determined to do well. I only came across three Universities accepting Biology or Chemistry as an entry requirement - Queen Mary University, KCL and Bristol - Gateway to dentistry with foundation year.
I will be extremely grateful if any of you had been in similar situation and could give me an advice! Do I have a chance at this stage, do I have an option to do Chemistry independently next year, when I am year 13? I may qualify for a contextual offer and I am determined to do well in my UCAT exam. My parents are also paying for some 5 day apprenticeship in Dentistry, which I believe should be beneficial.
I hope my post is not too long for you
Thank a lot for your help in advance.
Hi,
Yes you just have to apply smartly! Only apply to universities that explicitly state Biology OR Chemistry. You definitely have a chance at getting in, just focus on getting the best grades possible, a high UCAT score and writing a solid personal statement

Let me know if you have any questions about making your application stronger!

Numra
Year 3 Bristol Dental Student
Medic Mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.13%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.06%

Watched Threads