The Student Room Group

Bio, Chem, Economics A levels for Medicine

Im going to picking Bio, Chem, Economics are these A-levels sufficient in getting into the top Universities. Also when do you take the UCAT and BMAT. And would you advise dropping economics for physics
Original post by hcudhufdfddffd
Im going to picking Bio, Chem, Economics are these A-levels sufficient in getting into the top Universities. Also when do you take the UCAT and BMAT. And would you advise dropping economics for physics

This thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 by has pretty much all the information you need in the original post (and is also where these queries should be posted, fyi). As you can see from that your options are fine for all medical schools except Cambridge (which requires a third STEM subject along with chemistry/biology). No other medical schools have any preference what your third (or in some cases, second - and for Newcastle, any!) subject is.

It should be noted there is no such concept of "top universities" when it comes to medical schools. All medical degrees are accredited by the GMC and functionally equal. Moreover, the NHS is the sole provider of postgraduate medical training and does not discriminate among applicants based on where they studied their medical degree - and in fact in most recruitment levels the recruiters won't even have access to that information (to prevent any implicit bias due to where an applicant studied their medical degree).

The things to consider when choosing medical schools to apply is not whether they are a "top" medical school (since as above that means nothing), but the style of course and teaching (e.g. lecture based, PBL, early clinical contact or a sharp clinical/preclinical divide), intercalation options/requirements, location (for your own benefit - you'll be living and studying/working there for 5-6 years so it's important to be somewhere you are happy with and can afford), and any facilities, clubs, societies, etc that are of interest to you offered by the uni itself.

Hi lol. I'm a first year medic and I did bio, chem, french and maths at a-level. I'm sure those a-levels are sufficient for most universities but you should check their websites to confirm. You take the UCAT/BMAT before you apply on ucas. You can take the UCAT whenever you wish from around June I think? (Don't quote me on that though!) And, for BMAT, you have a choice between doing it in September or October. Hope that helps :smile:
Please do not repost the same thread in different sections.
Reply 4

What are "top Universities" in this scenario? How are you attributing a ranking?
Original post by GANFYD
What are "top Universities" in this scenario? How are you attributing a ranking?

Russel group so Cambridge, Oxford, Kings etc
Original post by artful_lounger
This thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 by @ecolier has pretty much all the information you need in the original post (and is also where these queries should be posted, fyi). As you can see from that your options are fine for all medical schools except Cambridge (which requires a third STEM subject along with chemistry/biology). No other medical schools have any preference what your third (or in some cases, second - and for Newcastle, any!) subject is.

It should be noted there is no such concept of "top universities" when it comes to medical schools. All medical degrees are accredited by the GMC and functionally equal. Moreover, the NHS is the sole provider of postgraduate medical training and does not discriminate among applicants based on where they studied their medical degree - and in fact in most recruitment levels the recruiters won't even have access to that information (to prevent any implicit bias due to where an applicant studied their medical degree).

The things to consider when choosing medical schools to apply is not whether they are a "top" medical school (since as above that means nothing), but the style of course and teaching (e.g. lecture based, PBL, early clinical contact or a sharp clinical/preclinical divide), intercalation options/requirements, location (for your own benefit - you'll be living and studying/working there for 5-6 years so it's important to be somewhere you are happy with and can afford), and any facilities, clubs, societies, etc that are of interest to you offered by the uni itself.

Reply 7
Russel group so Cambridge, Oxford, Kings etc

Russell Group is a self-styled set of universities based on research and has nothing to do with a medical degree? Some of the Russell Group do not even offer medicine as a course, and others only in conjunction with non-RG universities
Original post by TheHumanCarrot
Hi lol. I'm a first year medic and I did bio, chem, french and maths at a-level. I'm sure those a-levels are sufficient for most universities but you should check their websites to confirm. You take the UCAT/BMAT before you apply on ucas. You can take the UCAT whenever you wish from around June I think? (Don't quote me on that though!) And, for BMAT, you have a choice between doing it in September or October. Hope that helps :smile:

how did you find maths?
Original post by svannah5676
how did you find maths?

I found it alright to be honest, AS was a lot easier than A2 though

Hello! These all sound like great A level choices, but i just wanted to mention that at Newcastle we don't actually have any subject requirements - whilst related ones are useful for students wanting to study medicine, we don't require any specific subjects. Our course page is here https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/ if you want to have a look through the requirements/modules etc but please let me know if you have any questions!!

Mollie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending