Do University rankings matter?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There are a couple of green-campus universities I want to study at but they're low ranking for my course, is it worth going there? I see everyone talking about Russell group universities being the best but they don't appeal to me even though they're top ranking for my course.
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are you studying to apply and what do you want to do after uni
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wizkid44)
Accounting
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wizkid44)
I'll pm you
Anonymous #1
Regardless of my curse, do uni rankings matter?
Anonymous #1
*course.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are a couple of green-campus universities I want to study at but they're low ranking for my course, is it worth going there? I see everyone talking about Russell group universities being the best but they don't appeal to me even though they're top ranking for my course.
Depends on what you want to do. Some jobs such as law, banking etc place a very high importance on where you went to university.

Others, such as film, media, fashion don’t mind where you went to university, some industries don’t mind if you have a degree or not in the first place!

There are green campus RG universities as well as some highly ranked universities not in the RG.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,

Great question! It really depends on what you want to do. Some industries place greater importance on the ranking, while others pay very little attention (if any). Remember most league tables have subject-specific filters so you can show the table for your subject only - which is useful to know.

Unless you are in an industry where it is really important (in which there are few), then it matters more that you make the most of your time at university, whether it be demonstrating your ability to dedicate yourself by getting a good grade, gaining experience along the way (placements, volunteering etc.) or getting involved in extra-curricular activity. It's a three year period to add skills and experience to your CV outside of your degree to help you stand out in the job market.

In summary, while it is comforting to know that the university you are going to ranks highly, it's just one of a handful of things you should be considering when choosing a university, rather than the be all and end all. To many industries, it's about the experience you gain, or your personal qualities that make the difference.

Hope this helps,

James - Student Rep
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads