kingofstruggle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The one thing i truly struggle with is getting my head around the cognitive approach. Can anybody here give me the most simple and easy to understand summary of the cognitive approach - it would be a massive help.
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
From memory (so you may want to double check):

Arose with the development of computers in the 1950s and 1960s. Compared the mind to a computer (computer analogy) in that it has input, transformation, and output. The transformation includes processes like memory and thinking, so it allows for a degree of free will. Some criticise this because it's machine reductionism; computers don't have emotions and don't get tired so it's not a perfect analogy.

Models such as the multi-store model of memory can be produced because of this approach.

Schema also play a big role. They're sets of beliefs and expectations that affect our perceptions. Examples of this include the rat-man experiment (participants split into groups and were shown either people or animals, then when presented with an ambiguous picture they would see a man or a rat respectively), and skipping over the second "the" if you read a sentence including "the the".

Is this enough?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads