Current students at Coventry studying blended nursing course

Watch
Jem8406
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I have a place on the Blended Adult Nursing course at Coventry uni, starting in September. I’m hoping to speak with any current students on the course. I’m at the point now of needing to give notice at my jobs so I can leave in September.
I’m wondering if you carried on with your jobs while doing the course? I work 4 days a week.
Also could I have an example of the placement shift patterns - trying to figure out how to tie it in with pre school etc!!
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jem8406)
Hi
I have a place on the Blended Adult Nursing course at Coventry uni, starting in September. I’m hoping to speak with any current students on the course. I’m at the point now of needing to give notice at my jobs so I can leave in September.
I’m wondering if you carried on with your jobs while doing the course? I work 4 days a week.
Also could I have an example of the placement shift patterns - trying to figure out how to tie it in with pre school etc!!
Thanks
Hello @Jem8406,
Congratulations on your place at Coventry! I am studying a different course, so I will forward your question to student ambassadors, who can help you more.
As for whether to keep or leave your job while studying, it depends on you. Many students work while studying. However most of us only have part time jobs, because with those it is easier to keep up with the assignments, work we need to complete for our courses.
Please let us know if you have any more questions and we will do our best to answer you.

Anna
Coventry University, Coventry
Event Management student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
Thanks
Hey Jem8406,

Thank you for your query. Firstly, congrats on getting onto the course at Coventry!

Although I'm not a current student on the course, I do study a healthcare course so I can offer some insight to help you.

It's possible to continue with a job while studying your course, however, it's important to be mindful that your uni work will be prioritised and while you're on placement, it's extremely difficult to maintain a job. There are 2 placements per academic year, each running for 10 weeks working 40 hours, so it's quite intense and is full-time alongside any uni work you have to do while on placement. Placement shift patterns can vary from mornings to nights depending on where you're going and you're unlikely to find out until you commence placement and discuss things with your supervisor.
If the option is available for you to work while you're at uni and not work while you're on placement (or keep a job for the weekends), this is probably your best bet.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Jem8406
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hey Jem8406,

Thank you for your query. Firstly, congrats on getting onto the course at Coventry!

Although I'm not a current student on the course, I do study a healthcare course so I can offer some insight to help you.

It's possible to continue with a job while studying your course, however, it's important to be mindful that your uni work will be prioritised and while you're on placement, it's extremely difficult to maintain a job. There are 2 placements per academic year, each running for 10 weeks working 40 hours, so it's quite intense and is full-time alongside any uni work you have to do while on placement. Placement shift patterns can vary from mornings to nights depending on where you're going and you're unlikely to find out until you commence placement and discuss things with your supervisor.
If the option is available for you to work while you're at uni and not work while you're on placement (or keep a job for the weekends), this is probably your best bet.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Veronica
Hi
Thankyou for the information, that’s helpful.
So as far as I understand it, placements are likely to start around Feb time - is this when yours started?
I was thinking to continue working up until the second term when I start placements.

How are your placements? Can you give me any info on how soon you get your shifts etc - I appreciate it’s a different course but any advice will be helpful
Thanks
Jemma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
Thankyou for the information, that’s helpful.
So as far as I understand it, placements are likely to start around Feb time - is this when yours started?
I was thinking to continue working up until the second term when I start placements.

How are your placements? Can you give me any info on how soon you get your shifts etc - I appreciate it’s a different course but any advice will be helpful
Thanks
Jemma
Hey Jem8406,

Thank you for getting back to me!

Yes, second-year placements for Dietetics students start beginning of February.
Work when it's best to work and just be mindful of your schedule.

Placements for Dietetics for most part is quite intense because there is a lot going on, learning on the job while managing consultation and doing admin - which you don't learn at uni. Regarding shifts, we don't have shifts, we tend to patients on wards who need tending to and hold clinics where patients either come for a consultation or a review for dietetic management, so there is no rota compared to other healthcare professions such as nursing.

Regarding advice in preparation for placement, when you find out where you're going, making sure you know where it is, have a trial run to make sure you know the timings if you need to travel, be smart about your finances, accommodation if you need to relocate, gather all your resources which may assist you while you're on placement, contact your supervisor beforehand and introduce yourself. If there are things you need to manage in your personal life that you feel may impact you while on placement, make sure that's settled so that you are aware and can solely focus on placement. There's nothing worse than your personal life ruining your experience of placement. Be sure to set the tone and be clear about their expectations of you as a student Nurse. Know and learn the policies of the trust you will be working at, be inquisitive and step out of your comfort zone by putting yourself out there as this is the chance for you to do learn and make a mistake. The only chance you will get to practice in a safe and supervised environment. Make the most of the opportunity and say yes to every opportunity. Learn as much as you can. Create your own set of notes to look back on while you're on placement. Most of all, it's the simple things like being punctual, being polite and professional and not having an attitude when you're on shift. Learn to be self-aware of your own actions because it's often to miss things while you're on placement so take time to reflect and ask for feedback on how you can improve.

Veronica
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
25.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
9.3%
No I am happy with my choice (25)
58.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.98%

Watched Threads