International Relations degree

Watch this thread
shak21
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know what you can do with an international relations degree after uni? I am really interested in current affairs but I have no clue with what I will do with it after
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shak21)
Does anyone know what you can do with an international relations degree after uni? I am really interested in current affairs but I have no clue with what I will do with it after
Loads of stuff.

A lot of friends with this degree have gone into the civil service, you'd also be welcome as a teacher, as well as basically any white collar role that doesn't need a particular degree focus.

There are also lots of roles within international NGOs, plus other organisations like EU, UN, etc. who would take a candidate with an International Relations background.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey shak21,

I have just finished my second year of politics and international relations here at Reading!

Personally I think it is one of the best degrees to do because all the skills you learn are so transferrable. You really can go anywhere with it! International relations links well into the civil service, government roles, the media, the armed forces, journalism, and even things that are completely different. I am planning on becoming a pilot after university

Its a great stepping stone if you aren't 100% sure what you want to do after uni. Also, you should study something because you really enjoy and are interested in the subject! Its great that you are thinking of your career afterwards already, but studying something that you love is much better than studying something for the job prospects. If you don't study something you love, you will find it super hard to keep writing essays about it.

Hope this helps

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
International Relations graduate here :hi:

An International Relations degree offers quite varied opportunities after graduation. Amongst the people I know, many have gone on to work in the civil service, research, data analysis, policy, consultancy, international organisations (EU, UN, World Bank, etc), prisons, armed forces, marketing, public relations/affairs, communications, project delivery/management, the media and journalism, as well as for MPs, political parties, NGOs or charities. You can work in a variety of areas, from diplomacy and conflict resolution to environmental research and political journalism. Personally, I am meant to start the Summer Diversity Internship Programme with the Ministry of Defence this month and aim to join the Fast Stream on the Diplomatic Service, Houses of Parliament, Generalist or Social Research stream next year :love: In the long term, I hope to work in counterterrorism :daydreaming:

If you are interested in current affairs, an International Relations degree is definitely worth considering. That being said, it is not impossible to work in politics without a related degree (e.g. I know who got into the Fast Stream after studying English Literature or Classics and French), though it would help.

Good luck with your studies henceforth! :hugs:
Last edited by Michiyo; 1 year ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I would actually say IR is one of the most diverse fields in terms of employment. As the others have said, many IR postgraduates go to civil service, government, international organisations, diplomacy or academia. However, there are also other options such as journalism, communications or the private sector as it is becoming increasingly more important for companies to expand internationally. Furthermore, if you speak any other languages besides English, or if you are willing to learn more while studying, that will drastically increase your job prospects as well.

Hope this helps

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student
shak21
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Loads of stuff.

A lot of friends with this degree have gone into the civil service, you'd also be welcome as a teacher, as well as basically any white collar role that doesn't need a particular degree focus.

There are also lots of roles within international NGOs, plus other organisations like EU, UN, etc. who would take a candidate with an International Relations background.
Thank you for your help, it means so much !
shak21
Rep:
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hey shak21,

I have just finished my second year of politics and international relations here at Reading!

Personally I think it is one of the best degrees to do because all the skills you learn are so transferrable. You really can go anywhere with it! International relations links well into the civil service, government roles, the media, the armed forces, journalism, and even things that are completely different. I am planning on becoming a pilot after university

Its a great stepping stone if you aren't 100% sure what you want to do after uni. Also, you should study something because you really enjoy and are interested in the subject! Its great that you are thinking of your career afterwards already, but studying something that you love is much better than studying something for the job prospects. If you don't study something you love, you will find it super hard to keep writing essays about it.

Hope this helps

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Yeah that makes sense because there are countless opportunities. Thank you so much for your help and have fun becoming a pilot!
shak21
Rep:
(Original post by Michiyo)
International Relations graduate here :hi:

An International Relations degree offers quite varied opportunities after graduation. Amongst the people I know, many have gone on to work in the civil service, research, data analysis, policy, consultancy, international organisations (EU, UN, World Bank, etc), prisons, armed forces, marketing, public relations/affairs, communications, project delivery/management, the media and journalism, as well as for MPs, political parties, NGOs or charities. You can work in a variety of areas, from diplomacy and conflict resolution to environmental research and political journalism. Personally, I am meant to start the Summer Diversity Internship Programme with the Ministry of Defence this month and aim to join the Fast Stream on the Diplomatic Service, Houses of Parliament, Generalist or Social Research stream next year :love: In the long term, I hope to work in counterterrorism :daydreaming:

If you are interested in current affairs, an International Relations degree is definitely worth considering. That being said, it is not impossible to work in politics without a related degree (e.g. I know who got into the Fast Stream after studying English Literature or Classics and French), though it would help.

Good luck with your studies henceforth! :hugs:
I don't necessarily want to work in politics after studies because my interest moreover lies in current affairs and activism etc. Is it possible to like work with activist groups with this degree? Thank you for all your help, and good luck in the internship programme!
shak21
Rep:
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hi!

I would actually say IR is one of the most diverse fields in terms of employment. As the others have said, many IR postgraduates go to civil service, government, international organisations, diplomacy or academia. However, there are also other options such as journalism, communications or the private sector as it is becoming increasingly more important for companies to expand internationally. Furthermore, if you speak any other languages besides English, or if you are willing to learn more while studying, that will drastically increase your job prospects as well.

Hope this helps

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student
Thank you for your help, will definitely keep that in mind !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (55)
26.96%
As I expected (66)
32.35%
Harder (75)
36.76%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.92%

Watched Threads