milliemaereuben
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi there I am picking my EPQ question and wondered if any one had any question ideas on gender as social construct
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gender is a social construct. You can’t expect to do well by treating this as something groundbreaking. Has to be bolder than that.
milliemaereuben
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
Gender is a social construct. You can’t expect to do well by treating this as something groundbreaking. Has to be bolder than that.
ok do u have any ideas to help me make my idea bolder
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could do a question on whether gender-stereotyped behaviour is due to biology/nature (eg: boys are more aggressive due to testosterone) or whether behaviour is socially constructed/nurture (eg: parents may be more likely to encourage girls to play with dolls as children so are more likely to be nurturing?)?
Last edited by SB1234567890; 1 month ago
Turning_A_Corner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
You could do a question on whether gender-stereotyped behaviour is due to biology/nature (eg: boys are more aggressive due to testosterone) or whether behaviour is socially constructed/nurture (eg: parents may be more likely to encourage girls to play with dolls as children so are more likely to be nurturing?)?
That is a question that has been answered. EPQs need to be original.
The problem with supporting you with a question OP is that I don’t know what your core background is. Are you coming from a social sciences or a humanities background?
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
That is a question that has been answered. EPQs need to be original.
The problem with supporting you with a question OP is that I don’t know what your core background is. Are you coming from a social sciences or a humanities background?
It hasn't already been answered. For example, based on psychology, the biological approach argues that gender related behaviour is due to different hormones (testosterone in males) and genes (MAOA-L is more common in males and causes aggression by reducing serotonin) whereas the social learning theory would argue that gender related behaviour is a result of factors in the environment, such as culture (in some cultures women are more dominant and aggressive), media (such as using pink in adverts for girls) and the role of parents and peers. I agree that gender alone as a social construct is already answered but in terms of the behaviour associated with different genders there are different arguments, which can also both be used to explain why some people are transgender (brain schema theory vs parents reinforcing opposite gender behaviour)
Turning_A_Corner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
It hasn't already been answered. For example, based on psychology, the biological approach argues that gender related behaviour is due to different hormones (testosterone in males) and genes (MAOA-L is more common in males and causes aggression by reducing serotonin) whereas the social learning theory would argue that gender related behaviour is a result of factors in the environment, such as culture (in some cultures women are more dominant and aggressive), media (such as using pink in adverts for girls) and the role of parents and peers. I agree that gender alone as a social construct is already answered but in terms of the behaviour associated with different genders there are different arguments, which can also both be used to explain why some people are transgender (brain schema theory vs parents reinforcing opposite gender behaviour)
You’ve clearly never stepped into a university library. Trust me, there is nothing that an EPQ can add to this by asking this simple question. And brain schema theory has been debunked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (53)
28.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.2%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads