Chelseawilsonx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’ve recently been looking into studying medicine, I’m 22 and don’t have the grades from school? I feel like I should just try become a nurse or midwife as I have the grades to be accepted but I really think I could be more? How do I go about applying or starting my study process as I wouldn’t be accepted into med school at the moment. I am currently a health care support worker in a hospital! Any advice I would appreciate! Thanks
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would suggest asking here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...3#post95365413

Or becausethenight could move it there for you.
KimCW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chelseawilsonx)
Hi, I’ve recently been looking into studying medicine, I’m 22 and don’t have the grades from school? I feel like I should just try become a nurse or midwife as I have the grades to be accepted but I really think I could be more? How do I go about applying or starting my study process as I wouldn’t be accepted into med school at the moment. I am currently a health care support worker in a hospital! Any advice I would appreciate! Thanks
You could look for Access to Medicine courses depending on which area of the Uk you live.
You can find out more about this here: https://www.bsms.ac.uk/_pdf/undergra...guidelines.pdf
Including a list of medical schools and which access courses they accept- not all access courses are equal so bare this in mind. Your GCSEs will still be taking into account when apply to medical school so also check that you meet these requirements too- handily most access course providers are part of a FE collage and you might be able to take an extra gcse along with the course.
lastlullabyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have another degree?
KimCW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KimCW)
You could look for Access to Medicine courses depending on which area of the Uk you live.
You can find out more about this here: https://www.bsms.ac.uk/_pdf/undergra...guidelines.pdf
Including a list of medical schools and which access courses they accept- not all access courses are equal so bare this in mind. Your GCSEs will still be taking into account when apply to medical school so also check that you meet these requirements too- handily most access course providers are part of a FE collage and you might be able to take an extra gcse along with the course.
Also some Access courses act as feeder courses to other medical schools like this one: https://www.escg.ac.uk/courses/scien...ma-medicine-l/ where you are guaranteed to be interviewed at Brighton and Sussex.
If you don’t have a previous degree you might want to look at some of the med schools that offer medicine with a foundation year- mostly for widening participation (some encourage further development for healthcare workers like UCLAN) but a quite a few are set up for those who haven’t taken the right a-levels to apply directly for medicine.
Remember that whichever route you take you will also have to take an entrance exam of one sort or the other- UCAT/ BMAT/ GAMSAT. You should start preparing for this now to take in the next couple of months.
I was an HCA as well before applying for medical school and I didn’t feel I could prepare for these entrance exams whilst at work so I spoke to my manager and booked A months leave off and then two weeks unpaid leave before starting my exam don’t underestimate how much preparation is needed to score highly in these exams, But do be encouraged that preparation is key and the more you practice the more your score will improve.
I know it sounds like a lot to take on when you first start but just take each requirement step-by-step. You could start by making a list of which medical schools you would like to apply for and which requirements they need some will not even accept an access course and others will only accept one kind of entrance exam or the other so you will find that many of your decisions will be made for you . Once you have your shortlist and I’ve decided which entrance exam to take you can book your exam date now in advance don’t leave them till the last minute because these slots get booked up quickly if you find that you are not prepared nearer the time you can try to rebook the exam slot. Once you have done that see what the requirements are for the access course you may even want to apply to 2 different ones in case you were not accepted to one of them.
You can bear in mind as well that some further education colleges have one year crammer A-levels which are more widely accepted then Access. Personally I wasn’t so confident in my academic ability to do three A-levels in one year and I was attracted to the access courses because the syllabus matches the knowledge needed at medical school better than the A-level syllabus what I mean by that is it’s mostly human biology anatomy and physiology rather than Photosynthesis and ecology.
I should probably have started with our you sure you want to be a doctor- Try to reflect on what you have seen working as an HCA -do you value the kind of care made available to patients that you have seen provided for by the nursing team and physiotherapist- do you prefer the detective like nature that is involved in working as a doctor- might you enjoy taking on this line of work without as much responsibility and prefer to be a generalist like a physicians associate (4yr degree)?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What have you been doing since you left school and what qualifications do you have?

I think an Access course might be what you're looking for but it's difficult to say without more information.

I would only become a nurse or midwife if you actually want to do those jobs. They are not medicine lite.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
5.91%
Uncertainty around my education (23)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (23)
11.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (32)
15.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
6.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (17)
8.37%
Financial worries (10)
4.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (15)
7.39%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (24)
11.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (15)
7.39%

Watched Threads