civilengineering
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What standard of laptop for 1st year civil engineering student ?
Cole_03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve been told to get a basic one that runs word, PowerPoint and all that and if you do any computer work you do it on the school computer. Alternatively I’m waiting to hear what my lectures say before buying one
MiladA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did Civil Engineering at University and bought a MacBook Pro in first year which is still going strong! I've had it for 4+ years. As Cole_03 said, a laptop that runs Word, PowerPoint and Excel is fine, until it's not !

The downside is that many programs you'll encounter especially during the later years of the course (such as finite element software) are not available on Mac. You can of course use Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop to run Windows on a Mac but (for me anyway) it is sluggish. There are some software that you may use during your course such as MATLAB which is available on Mac. but you'll find that the majority of them require Windows.

You'll find yourself using Excel a LOT and you'll definitely use AutoCAD (which is available on Mac).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads