ashleyp107
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have offers from Leeds and Durham for MSc Data Science. Modules wise, Leeds looks better and overall ranking wise Durham is better, so which one should I go with? Please help
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends how much you want to trade off prestige for course safisfaction. I did an MSc in Data Science and would recommend the prestige route. Once you're able to think computationally about problems (which any course should teach you), data science is largely going to be a self taught journey and will take years of developing your skills to become good. The brand name of your uni stays with you for life and I've found that most data science opportunities have come to me because of the brand name.

That said, if you intend to apply to data science roles soon (within the next year), and you're starting with very limited data science skills, you'll have to be prepared for a steep learning curve to reach the benchmark that makes you a realistic candidate. In this situation it might be worth considering the course that develops the most skills, especially Python/R and SQL.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 1 month ago
Durham University
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashleyp107)
I have offers from Leeds and Durham for MSc Data Science. Modules wise, Leeds looks better and overall ranking wise Durham is better, so which one should I go with? Please help
Great to hear that you are considering Durham for your MSc in Data Science! You can find detailed information about the course on our website here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...#coursecontent if you are still trying to choose between different options, this should give you a good idea of what the course entails. There are optional modules as well as core modules so it is possible to tailor the course to your specific interests. Is there a specific area of study you are interested in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.71%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (27)
28.13%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (9)
9.38%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.42%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.21%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
27.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads