Asking me to pay for a course I didn’t use

Watch
Elwasty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, in autumn I pad a deposit for a access to medicine course at learn direct. I told the salesperson that i wasn’t sure the unis would accept it and I had to contact them to ask, at that time I had a 14 day trial that he started after he took the £10 deposit.
So because it was over the phone he must of misheard me because he didn’t spell my email correctly.

And so I didn’t get the email link giving me access to the course anyway.
I told him this and he said okay, after the unis let you know if they accept this course, get back to me and I’ll correct the typo so you’ll get access to the course.
So the unis didn’t accept the course and I didn’t get back to him . I had assumed they’d refund the £10 deposit anyway.

And for the past few months they’ve been contacting me asking about the course, whenever they text me I would reply, and whenever they called it would cut off straightaway somehow (I don’t know why).

So now they’re asking for one and a half grand for a course I never even had access to and are saying they’re going to give my case to a third party debt collector if I don’t pay!!

What should I do???
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Elwasty)
Hi, in autumn I pad a deposit for a access to medicine course at learn direct. I told the salesperson that i wasn’t sure the unis would accept it and I had to contact them to ask, at that time I had a 14 day trial that he started after he took the £10 deposit.
So because it was over the phone he must of misheard me because he didn’t spell my email correctly.

I told him this and he said okay, after the unis let you know if they accept this course, get back to me and I’ll correct the typo so you’ll get access to the course.
So the unis didn’t accept the course and I didn’t get back to him . I had assumed they’d refund the £10 deposit anyway.

And for the past few months they’ve been contacting me asking about the course, whenever they text me I would reply, and whenever they called it would cut off straightaway somehow (I don’t know why).

So now they’re asking for one and a half grand for a course I never even had access to and are saying they’re going to give my case to a third party debt collector if I don’t pay!!

What should I do???
It's difficult to say what you are liable for without seeing what T&C's you've agreed to. If you've paid a deposit and not gotten back to them within the cooling off period, then you are potentially in a sticky spot.

Do you have any emails detailing the above exchange? If not, you need to summarise exactly what was said over the phone, (with dates, times and names if possible), and email them making it clear how things were left when you last spoke to the rep and that you could never access the course due to the error with the email which the rep acknowledged.
N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What should I do???
In English Contract law they legally can’t bring a claim against you when they have not fulfilled their contractual obligation. You haven’t had access to the course, the main reason you entered the contract. This would easily be a contractual condition, that they didn’t follow.

Breach of condition = revocation of contract

You’ll be okay, I would personally just ignore them as they can’t steal the money from your account, if they go to debt collection then contest this, and if u go to court they have next to no case*

*DISCLAIMER: I’m not qualified under English and Welsh law to provide legal expertise, only just a 1st year law student 🤷🏽*♂️ but that’s all just my ‘opinion’ on the thing.
Elwasty
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help, I just don’t want to go to court coz I can’t afford legal help, also they’re saying that I could have cancelled by going to the website or contacting customer services.
And I don’t want to get my already bad credit score any worse(((
Elwasty
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
It's difficult to say what you are liable for without seeing what T&C's you've agreed to. If you've paid a deposit and not gotten back to them within the cooling off period, then you are potentially in a sticky spot.

Do you have any emails detailing the above exchange? If not, you need to summarise exactly what was said over the phone, (with dates, times and names if possible), and email them making it clear how things were left when you last spoke to the rep and that you could never access the course due to the error with the email which the rep acknowledged.
I spoke with the sales person over the phone in autumn. And I never contacted them by email because they typed my email wrong and i wouldn’t have been able to reply to their emails.
I do have texts from them to which I did respond saying I don’t want the course and a maybe 2 months ago I submitted a message in their site saying I didn’t want their course and hadn’t been given access to it anyway!!!
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your help, I just don’t want to go to court coz I can’t afford legal help, also they’re saying that I could have cancelled by going to the website or contacting customer services.
Contact the citizens advice bureau, they provide free advice and guidance to people who find themselves in theses kind of situation.
Do not agree to pay anything until you have got some proper advice. Be aware of scare tactics.
N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Contact the citizens advice bureau, they provide free advice and guidance to people who find themselves in theses kind of situation.
Do not agree to pay anything until you have got some proper advice. Be aware of scare tactics.
^ yes, they’re simply trying to scare you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads