The Student Room Group

Help! Female reproductive issues :/

Hey!
So, first off I’d like to say I’ve been on the contraceptive pill Mercilon for almost a year now with no major issues after having the implant and trying 10 other brands of contraceptive.
In the past couple of days I’ve been experiencing severe cramping in my lower abdomen and it was so bad that I was sent home from work because I was on the verge of tears.
It is also worth noting that I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis in September 2020 and my first gynaecologist appointment is in August so I’m not sure if my issue is related to this.
I have now started spotting and the blood is either pinky red or brown with no inbetween. It feels like my body is trying to force itself to bleed.
I took two pregnancy tests in the past week anyway as I always test at the end of each pill pack (I don’t take breaks from my pill due to adenomyosis and therefore don’t bleed) and both tests were negative.
I forgot to take one pill on Friday night but my pill only says it’s a “missed” pill if it was more than 12 hours late, mine was only 9 hours late so I did not follow the instructions as they only state it as more than 12 hours late counting as missed and mine was more just forgotten.
Basically, I’m really worried that something is wrong with me and my doctors have no appointments. I’ve had breakthrough bleeding on different pills before but never with this type of severe cramping and this long since I’ve been taking it, it was always in the first 3 months. I’m really not sure what this is, can anyone help?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey!
So, first off I’d like to say I’ve been on the contraceptive pill Mercilon for almost a year now with no major issues after having the implant and trying 10 other brands of contraceptive.
In the past couple of days I’ve been experiencing severe cramping in my lower abdomen and it was so bad that I was sent home from work because I was on the verge of tears.
It is also worth noting that I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis in September 2020 and my first gynaecologist appointment is in August so I’m not sure if my issue is related to this.
I have now started spotting and the blood is either pinky red or brown with no inbetween. It feels like my body is trying to force itself to bleed.
I took two pregnancy tests in the past week anyway as I always test at the end of each pill pack (I don’t take breaks from my pill due to adenomyosis and therefore don’t bleed) and both tests were negative.
I forgot to take one pill on Friday night but my pill only says it’s a “missed” pill if it was more than 12 hours late, mine was only 9 hours late so I did not follow the instructions as they only state it as more than 12 hours late counting as missed and mine was more just forgotten.
Basically, I’m really worried that something is wrong with me and my doctors have no appointments. I’ve had breakthrough bleeding on different pills before but never with this type of severe cramping and this long since I’ve been taking it, it was always in the first 3 months. I’m really not sure what this is, can anyone help?

Hi

Don't take pregnancy tests unless you are active with partner and even then the pill should give you at least 99% protection with just 1% of getting pregnant.
No need to keep taking tests ok as not necessary really all the time.
There is generally a 12 hour window period if you forget to take pill on time which gives you protection still.

Breakthrough is fine unless it's unbearable constantly then it should settle, if it worrying you then get a GP appointment and tell receptionist you need to see GP asap on this and let your GP decided what is happening ok.

If you where happen to be pregnant then wait around 7 days after doing things with your partner and then see what it says and can repeat it again within 21 days. Doing test at end of each pack won't give you immediate answers as pregnancy tests detect things from around 7 days onwards reason why wait.

( As the body adapts, many people temporarily experience symptoms similar to those of their period. Also, if a person forgets to take their birth control pill, or takes it at the wrong time, hormone levels can change quickly and cause symptoms such as cramping, spotting, and bleeding. )........???

Side effects can last upto 3 months with pill and then should settle down when your body is used to things with pill ok. It could be this is what is the matter.

I'm not going to diagnosed what it may or may not be because it's upto your GP to do this and also I don't won't to be wrong either on what I tell you.

I'm a registered midwife with NHS.
If you take the pill with no break, it can make you more likely to have breakthrough bleeding. As above, it is probably best to speak to your GP though.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi

Don't take pregnancy tests unless you are active with partner and even then the pill should give you at least 99% protection with just 1% of getting pregnant.
No need to keep taking tests ok as not necessary really all the time.
There is generally a 12 hour window period if you forget to take pill on time which gives you protection still.

Breakthrough is fine unless it's unbearable constantly then it should settle, if it worrying you then get a GP appointment and tell receptionist you need to see GP asap on this and let your GP decided what is happening ok.

If you where happen to be pregnant then wait around 7 days after doing things with your partner and then see what it says and can repeat it again within 21 days. Doing test at end of each pack won't give you immediate answers as pregnancy tests detect things from around 7 days onwards reason why wait.

( As the body adapts, many people temporarily experience symptoms similar to those of their period. Also, if a person forgets to take their birth control pill, or takes it at the wrong time, hormone levels can change quickly and cause symptoms such as cramping, spotting, and bleeding. )........???

Side effects can last upto 3 months with pill and then should settle down when your body is used to things with pill ok. It could be this is what is the matter.

I'm not going to diagnosed what it may or may not be because it's upto your GP to do this and also I don't won't to be wrong either on what I tell you.

I'm a registered midwife with NHS.

I was told by my doctor it is best to test at the end of each pack, it is not breakthrough as I have been on this pill for almost a year. I am active with my partner too. I spoke to my GP and I have just caused my hormones to go strange and caused my period.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
If you take the pill with no break, it can make you more likely to have breakthrough bleeding. As above, it is probably best to speak to your GP though.

Thanks for the reply, it’s not breakthrough. I spoke to my GP thankfully and I have just started my period as my hormone levels have gone out of whack as I left it 9 hours. Nothing to worry about, just very painful. Breakthrough only normally occurs in the first three months and I have been on this pill for nearly a year with no issues, just me being forgetful.

Quick Reply

Latest