The Student Room Group

Failed year 12 help!!!

I am in the middle of my end of year assessments and know that I have failed my end of year maths paper (as in a got an E in paper one and a U in paper two). I'm my other subjects (biology and psych) I'm hoping for a C-A depending on how the next paper goes. My school bases predicted grades for UCAS pretty much mainly on this and I don't know what to do because I definitely want to go to uni (biomedical sciences) but need good predicted to do so...
Original post by hill.lily
I am in the middle of my end of year assessments and know that I have failed my end of year maths paper (as in a got an E in paper one and a U in paper two). I'm my other subjects (biology and psych) I'm hoping for a C-A depending on how the next paper goes. My school bases predicted grades for UCAS pretty much mainly on this and I don't know what to do because I definitely want to go to uni (biomedical sciences) but need good predicted to do so...

so what predicted grades do you think you will get? c to a is a very wide breadth
Reply 2
Original post by CatInTheCorner
so what predicted grades do you think you will get? c to a is a very wide breadth

For predicted it's aspirational' so even with a C I could probably get predicted an A in psych and bio (taking into account classwork as well) but in maths, i've got a U so predicted maybe a D?
For predicted it's aspirational' so even with a C I could probably get predicted an A in psych and bio (taking into account classwork as well) but in maths, i've got a U so predicted maybe a D?

so, psych: A bio: A maths: D
AAD is certainly an odd combo. But you have to realise that this is much higher than you performed in your exams, so applying for AAA courses is not a good idea unless you're on top of how to achieve those grades. ( definitely not saying you can't, get those A*s girl! )
I suppose I'm sour because my school is doing "realistic" grades. I got an A* on my paper and predicted an A. :frown:
There are various uni courses that don't look at predicted grades, for example even a few medicine courses don't. Check on the relevant threads which courses want which grades. What are you applying for?
AAD is certainly an odd combo. But you have to realise that this is much higher than you performed in your exams, so applying for AAA courses is not a good idea unless you're on top of how to achieve those grades. ( definitely not saying you can't, get those A*s girl! )
I suppose I'm sour because my school is doing "realistic" grades. I got an A* on my paper and predicted an A. :frown:
There are various uni courses that don't look at predicted grades, for example even a few medicine courses don't. Check on the relevant threads which courses want which grades. What are you applying for?

Same my school is doing realistic grades. I don't blame them though but since the AS exams have been cancelled, and we've had to work during the lockdown, there might be some bias when predicting grades. Schools generally want their students to get A* - C so if they apply for A* - C universities, then they might be motivated to get that grade. This could then lead to more funding for schools and a better petition on the league tables. But these are just my thoughts. I have a feeling that a whole bunch of students this year are gonna have super high predicted grades. I mean, they are already inflated (but of course, some people do better than they're predicted which might happen in this case).
Original post by Oceanwater
Same my school is doing realistic grades. I don't blame them though but since the AS exams have been cancelled, and we've had to work during the lockdown, there might be some bias when predicting grades. Schools generally want their students to get A* - C so if they apply for A* - C universities, then they might be motivated to get that grade. This could then lead to more funding for schools and a better petition on the league tables. But these are just my thoughts. I have a feeling that a whole bunch of students this year are gonna have super high predicted grades. I mean, they are already inflated (but of course, some people do better than they're predicted which might happen in this case).

It's just irritating that I'm not getting predicted what I got in my exams, but OP can get a C and be predicted an A. No shade to OP, take full advantage of it, but bruh, this is unfair.
lmao XD rarwr

You can't get an A* on Year 12 level paper ...
It's just irritating that I'm not getting predicted what I got in my exams, but OP can get a C and be predicted an A. No shade to OP, take full advantage of it, but bruh, this is unfair.

I'm really sorry about that. There might still be a chance in year 13 for you to prove that you can get A*s and As but some teacher just won't budge because they're rude. When you do get higher grades than predicted, you could always go through adjustment however, it is notoriously stressful because you have to call the universities as soon as you get your results or else you might not secure a place.

No good school will over-predict. They get a reputation with universitie if they do that. Also what is the point of students ending up in clearing because thy miss offers -
Funding is NOT linked to results
Original post by Muttley79
No good school will over-predict. They get a reputation with universitie if they do that. Also what is the point of students ending up in clearing because thy miss offers -
Funding is NOT linked to results - how do you think that?

... Hello to you too.

Talk to your teachers get your papers back and see where you went wrong. They should NOT be basing predictions on one exam so ask for extra work over the summer and show this was a blip.
Original post by Muttley79
You can't get an A* on Year 12 level paper ...

The school created their own to be "representative" of year 13. A lot more paper 2 stuff, evaluation, etc. I think 115/160 was an A*. Take it up with them. :confused:

It's always okay to fail . But do your best and think if u didn't what's gonna happen
Move on, look at university and see if you can get on with then grades but if you cant focus on things you can do
I'm really sorry about that. There might still be a chance in year 13 for you to prove that you can get A*s and As but some teacher just won't budge because they're rude. When you do get higher grades than predicted, you could always go through adjustment however, it is notoriously stressful because you have to call the universities as soon as you get your results or else you might not secure a place.

I'm able to apply to unis I really like with my grades, as they don't look at predicted grades, but still irritating! I'm getting them adjusted in September, however, I have some more tests between now and then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest