How do I write my dissertation literature review?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,
I am currently researching for my undergrad dissertation and I'm really confused on the literature review. My dissertation is purely secondary research. The teacher told us to include a a few important sources we want to use and review them. I don't know what this means? My dissertation will have a lot of sources so how will I know which to include? and also what I have to say about them without describing what they discuss?
thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,
I am currently researching for my undergrad dissertation and I'm really confused on the literature review. My dissertation is purely secondary research. The teacher told us to include a a few important sources we want to use and review them. I don't know what this means? My dissertation will have a lot of sources so how will I know which to include? and also what I have to say about them without describing what they discuss?
thank you
A literature review is essentially a summary of the background research done on your topic.
You will have your main thesis that you would need to look into, but for the literature review, you should summarise the research done up until you start looking into your arguments.

You should include the sources that you have used in your references. There is usually no limit to the number of sources you use.
If you want to pick the main ones, then you need to have a good idea of what your topic is about. This is where you could look at the research papers mentioned in your relevant modules, especially in the relevant lecture notes.
You could also look at Wikipedia for a general idea of what the top sources are, if mentioned, under the relevant sections of the Wikipedia article.

When talking about the papers, I'd focus on the conclusions. If you're paraphrasing an idea that is mentioned across multiple articles, then you could mention the idea, then reference the authors in a list. See a typical published literature review in your discipline for an idea of how to do such a reference.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya
This is a summary of your efforts etc. Make sure to provide a list of reference sources as well. Ensure that you summarise your research too. Choose a research topic to do. Pay close attention to the conclusion. See if you can find a completed literature review to use as the basis of your task. Good luck. Study some ideas mentioned in research articles, quote them correctly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (63)
22.42%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.81%
I'm really nervous (55)
19.57%

Watched Threads