Do you pay your parents rent whilst you're living at home in the holidays?

Watch
meganbettss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello. My mum has asked me to pay her money each week whilst I'm living at home this summer. This is my first year at university and whilst my mum has asked me to pay during the Christmas and easter break, it has never been as long as a summer holiday (now until late September). I pay for my own mobile phone and laptop, I'm quite petite and so I definitely don't eat her out of house and home. She is asking me to pay her £10 a week until the end of September. I was just interested to see what other students thought of this
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Bump
meganbettss
Rep:
?
(Original post by meganbettss)
Hello. My mum has asked me to pay her money each week whilst I'm living at home this summer. This is my first year at university and whilst my mum has asked me to pay during the Christmas and easter break, it has never been as long as a summer holiday (now until late September). I pay for my own mobile phone and laptop, I'm quite petite and so I definitely don't eat her out of house and home. She is asking me to pay her £10 a week until the end of September. I was just interested to see what other students thought of this
Just thought I'd also mention that my mum is a chef and so a lot of the time she brings food home for us to eat so she doesn't have to go food shopping as much as the average person does
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not a university student yet but £10 a week is hardly anything
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't. But I did most of the chores when I was at home, and paid for all my own expenses including food.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
No. As an asian, I am not familiar with this concept of paying rent to live at my parents' house.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
No. As an asian, I am not familiar with this concept of paying rent to live at my parents' house.
Me neither, my parents find it weird and awkward if i offer them money and i'm a graduate student now.

But your mum may feel she's struggling financially or that she should be instilling a sense of responsibility in you
it's probably energy bills anyway that those £10 would go towards
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Me neither, my parents find it weird and awkward if i offer them money and i'm a graduate student now.

But your mum may feel she's struggling financially or that she should be instilling a sense of responsibility in you
I give my mum about £500 each month. I work full-time now and I appreciate everything they've done for me to get me where I am. When she retires, she don't have to worry about any living expenses I'll get that covered no problem.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I give my mum about £500 each month. I work full-time now and I appreciate everything they've done for me. When she retires, she don't have to worry about any living expenses I'll get that covered no problem.
That's great i hope to be in that position one day
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no, i don't and my parents have said they won't expect me to at any point. ten pounds a week is pretty reasonable though
meganbettss
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
I didn't. But I did most of the chores when I was at home, and paid for all my own expenses including food.
Yep that sounds reasonable. I do the chores whilst my mum is at work
meganbettss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)

Yes we're definitely not well off or anything like that so I thinks its quite reasonable. Thanks for the response!
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have a job? Bit tight to charge your kids rent during holidays in my opinion but as the person above me said, £10 is not a lot. Might just have to suck it up until you can go to uni unfortunately.
Anonnorth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I always did pay my parents rent when at home, especially when I was working.

They have supported you the best they can all your life up until then, it's only fair that you help them when you are able to.

I worked during the university holidays.

My parents were not well off but put some of the money myself and sibling gave them and used it to buy us things for our houses when we moved out permanently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (31)
15.98%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (61)
31.44%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (23)
11.86%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.25%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.67%
I think it's an unfair expectation (49)
25.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.55%

Watched Threads