paulajn75
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My son has been through 2 years (due to covid) of training at cosford. He has passed all his exams but on the last 6 practicals he failed 4 out of 6. He is now not graduating but will be put back 6-12 months. He is not the most academic but has worked his ass off to pass everything. I want to know why so far back and why can it not just be 6/8 weeks to retake the practicals. I know it will make him a better person etc but the length seems very unfair. Can I put in a complaint as a parent?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't make a complaint. Your son is an adult and there is no reason for you to get involved. Furthermore, you don't have all the information on the training programme to be able to comment.

If your son hasn't passed the practical tests and is being backcoursed, the assumption is that it's to give him more education to enable him to not only pass the tests, but to ensure he can use his knowledge and skills on the job. As a technician there is a lot of responsibility; aircraft, weapons or survival equipment, there's people's lives directly at stake.

From an ex-RAF Engineer Officer and Recruiter.
paulajn75
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Don't make a complaint. Your son is an adult and there is no reason for you to get involved. Furthermore, you don't have all the information on the training programme to be able to comment.

If your son hasn't passed the practical tests and is being backcoursed, the assumption is that it's to give him more education to enable him to not only pass the tests, but to ensure he can use his knowledge and skills on the job. As a technician there is a lot of responsibility; aircraft, weapons or survival equipment, there's people's lives directly at stake.

From an ex-RAF Engineer Officer and Recruiter.
Hi thanks for your reply. He understanding of his reflight but just not so far back. He is suffering at the moment and yes I understand he's an adult and he is very independent. I don't know all the facts no but having had the determination and integrity to get through everything they have thrown at him and he is not a great academic I am not really understanding why he has to go back so far when he has passed all his exams. He has watched his flight graduating today and he is not in a good place.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paulajn75)
Hi thanks for your reply. He understanding of his reflight but just not so far back. He is suffering at the moment and yes I understand he's an adult and he is very independent. I don't know all the facts no but having had the determination and integrity to get through everything they have thrown at him and he is not a great academic I am not really understanding why he has to go back so far when he has passed all his exams. He has watched his flight graduating today and he is not in a good place.
Your son has completed only part of his training by passing his exams; he has to be getting through everything to progress and it isn't a decision taken lightly to reflight for a long period. This also counts towards his apprenticeship, so he won't be getting a qualification when he has failed tests.

The positive is that the RAF is remaining invested in him and is giving him as much of an opportunity as possible to get through Phase 2 training; they could have discharged him. He needs to speak with his instructors and get as much help as possible, both for the academics and for his welfare and wellbeing.
Pdubz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's also worth noting that they can only 'backflight' someone onto a course that has a space available.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paulajn75)
I don't know all the facts
I'm sorry, but this is where your post should have started and ended.
Andy1973
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you're looking at this the wrong way round.

Your son has joined to do a practical engineering trade. He has failed over half of his practical assessments. The RAF clearly sees that he has potential, and have offered him the chance to retrain. He's been given a huge opportunity to rescue his career. He should be grateful that the RAF is going to give him that chance, not thinking about a complaint.

On a more practical note, "re-flighting" involves joining the course one or two entries back. If the entries to the apprenticeship occur every 6 months, then he will have to go back at least 6 months. And if some of the material that he has failed on was taught earlier than this, he'll have to go back 12. The college will not put on special catch-up sessions just for your son.

The skills your son will learn will be used to keep aircraft and other equipment operating safely. As a pilot, I wouldn't want a below-par technician to be working on my aircraft, just because his mother thought back-coursing him seemed unfair.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.88%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.9%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
11.02%
Financial worries (57)
6.98%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.53%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (78)
9.55%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed