hannahbrazell15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi,
has anyone got any advice on choosing which uni to go for to study psychology in a small university that is a pretty place to live?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahbrazell15)
hi,
has anyone got any advice on choosing which uni to go for to study psychology in a small university that is a pretty place to live?
My first piece of advice is to not choose a uni based on whether it's pretty or not, as it could be the most gorgeous place in the world but have a rubbish course with modules you don't enjoy.

Research universities and look at the modules in their courses. Add the universities to your short list that have the modules you'll enjoy, then if you can go and visit the cities, attend open days (virtually most likely) and get a feel for the uni. Whether it's pretty would just be a bonus point, but please base your decision primarily on the course as that's the most important thing.

I chose my uni because when I visited, I got that good feeling from it and could see myself studying there. It was in a huge city which scared me a bit as I'm not from one, but the course ticked all my boxes. The bonus points of there being nice parks etc were nice but ultimately didn't influence my decision. Think about what you want to learn about and study within psychology and make sure the uni you choose includes those.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The above poster makes good points.

Nonetheless, places like Royal Holloway, Durham, Loughborough, Bangor and St Andrews may be worth checking out for nice campus based locations. It could also include Bath, which is a very pretty small city, but the campus itself isn't the prettiest. Also, most individual Oxbridge colleges have the small community vibe, but are actually part of large universities.
Loughborough Student Community
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahbrazell15)
hi,
Hi hannahbrazell,

I studied Psychology at Loughborough University so can hopefully provide a bit of insight into life as a Loughborough psychology student!

Campus is really scenic and feels like a home away from home - I am not from a big city so I knew a campus University would be a good fit and from the minute I stepped on to campus I knew it was the place for me! You really get a sense of the #LboroFamily and I always enjoy walking across the beautiful campus.

My psychology lectures took place in a range of different buildings on campus so I loved that I was able to walk different routes each day for a bit more variation!

On Saturday 3 July 2021, there is a Virtual Open Day - this event offers the perfect opportunity to learn more about the course and whether Loughborough University is right for you! You can register here.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions about the course or the University, please feel free to ask!
Ella
Last edited by Loughborough Student Community; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.27%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.07%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.18%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (34)
10.15%
Financial worries (24)
7.16%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.46%

Watched Threads