I'm not sure what to choose for my A-Level subjects.

Watch
y_4hya
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Before I begin asking any questions I'll give some background as to why I'm struggling to make a choice.

Firstly we have the sciences like Physics. I personally find it interesting even if I don't have the same passion towards it I used to have, but I heard if you want to study it in college, you should do A-Level maths too as it can get very hard.

I also want to do Biology, but the only real subject that interests me are genes and monoclonal antibodies. However I feel as if I wanted to do anything with genes in the future, to be successful at it I would need to know A-Level Chemistry too.

I want to do A-Level photography, though the job prospects this subject offers is very narrow, and I only really think of it as a hobby too.

I also want to become a fiction writer, but I'm not sure which subjects would be the most useful. I think History might help me, as the settings I am writing in are based off, the British Empire and the foundation of the USA. There's also a Russia unit from 1917,-1953 I'm interested in. Though I may not write about it as much.

But the obvious ones, like English Literature. Is one that interests me the most. The units are Crime Writing and Tragedies, both things which I like. I would consider Language but I know very little about it, but from what I can gather it seems more concerned with how the language has formed and changed rather than the interesting stories we read and wrote at GCSE.

I'm thinking of doing Literature, Physics and Maths. But I'm not sure if I should replace Maths with History. Maths is not something that I hate or love, I found it pretty meh, I'm not very good at it, though not terrible either as my predicted grade is a 5 in higher. I have looked into the A-Level course and it seemed slightly more interesting then what we have learnt in GCSE. I could add history as a 4th A-Level, but I'm worried about the amount of stress it would add.

So which A-Levels should I choose? It sounds a bit odd asking random strangers this but I know you guys are the ones who are sitting them or have sit these exams. I only have 3 days left to decide.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects ; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
HousesInCork
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think you may wish to study English or a Creative Writing subject at uni? If so, have a look at entry requirements and typical subject combinations for courses you might be interested in. Some courses, for example, may ask for two essay writing subjects (e.g. English Lit and History).
Worth remembering too that not all your subjects have to be directly related to what you want to do in the future- you can do A Level Photography, for example, just as something you find interesting/creative without any interest in pursuing it as a career. From personal experience, however, I would advise caution before committing to maths A level if maths isn't something you're passionate about/find easy and also isn't essential for your future plans.
Last edited by HousesInCork; 1 month ago
y_4hya
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by HousesInCork)
Do you think you may wish to study English or a Creative Writing subject at uni? If so, have a look at entry requirements and typical subject combinations for courses you might be interested in. Some courses, for example, may ask for two essay writing subjects (e.g. English Lit and History).
Worth remembering too that not all your subjects have to be directly related to what you want to do in the future- you can do A Level Photography, for example, just as something you find interesting/creative without any interest in pursuing it as a career. From personal experience, however, I would advise caution before committing to maths A level if maths isn't something you're passionate about/find easy and also isn't essential for your future plans.
I'm not looking to study anything creative at Uni. IF I do go there (Since the high debt prices dissuade me.) I will be studying something related to Physics. Since I'm doing physics it's almost needed to do Maths.
HousesInCork
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by y_4hya)
I'm not looking to study anything creative at Uni. IF I do go there (Since the high debt prices dissuade me.) I will be studying something related to Physics. Since I'm doing physics it's almost needed to do Maths.
Fair enough. Uni's not for everyone. I was only asking because you said you like literature and want to be a fiction writer.
If you did want to leave your options open to studying physics at uni then yes you'll need Physics & Maths. My caution with maths a level was just that it is a big step up from GCSE so you need to be prepared to commit and work hard at it. Obviously if you know you want/need it, then it's worth this effort. For a third subject, just pick something you think you'll do well in and enjoy. English Literature seems as good a choice as any given your interests and career goals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.39%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (35)
30.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.43%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.35%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
24.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.74%

Watched Threads