Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in my late 30s and a 3rd year med student in London. I realise I have over a year to decide where to apply, and also ultimately only I can make the decision, but it would be useful to hear thoughts / anecdotes from people who may have faced similar dilemmas when applying for jobs. There are several factors I have to consider, so I'll break them down.

Partner - he moved to London from abroad c.20 years ago, and doesn't know many people elsewhere. Total city rat. Self-employed (as most are in his industry), so making friends through work would be quite difficult. He generally struggles quite a lot with change - part of why I feel like we need to decide soon, so he can have a lot of time to get used to the idea of moving if we move. He has a history of depression and I worry that moving to a place where he doesn't know anyone while I'm not so available to support him would precipitate a bad episode, which could go on for some time. He says he would be willing to move to a moderate sized city.

Family - my parents are getting old and struggling. They care for my disabled sister who lives with them, and live near my other sister who has 2 children under 5, a 3rd on the way, and a chronic health condition. They live in a very rural area which is too far from London to go for the weekend, which means I use holidays to visit and help and don't get much in the way of proper holidays. I feel guilty as the 'healthy' child that I'm not helping out more. There are a few small to medium sized cities within 2-3hrs drive which could be good locations for FP.

Finances - we are very fortunate to have social housing in centralish south London. If I was to get commutable FP posts from here, I'd probably be able to save up enough for a deposit on a house in a cheaper area later on. This is appealing as we have been very poor in the past (although less so now thankfully!) However applying to S Thames and getting 1 year in London and 1 year in e.g. Maidstone would kind of be the worst of both worlds!

Me - I'm really not a city person at heart, and I've been in London for 10 years now. I'd quite like to move nearer to the sea where the countryside is more accessible. Keen not to move between F1 and F2. I'm top decile in my uni so far, and have always done very well in written exams, so would hope to be at least average in SJT.

Writing all this down has actually been useful already, but I'd like to hear any thoughts, especially from people who have had a range of factors to consider when making similar decisions.
HHaricot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in my late 30s and a 3rd year med student in London. I realise I have over a year to decide where to apply, and also ultimately only I can make the decision, but it would be useful to hear thoughts / anecdotes from people who may have faced similar dilemmas when applying for jobs. There are several factors I have to consider, so I'll break them down.

Partner - he moved to London from abroad c.20 years ago, and doesn't know many people elsewhere. Total city rat. Self-employed (as most are in his industry), so making friends through work would be quite difficult. He generally struggles quite a lot with change - part of why I feel like we need to decide soon, so he can have a lot of time to get used to the idea of moving if we move. He has a history of depression and I worry that moving to a place where he doesn't know anyone while I'm not so available to support him would precipitate a bad episode, which could go on for some time. He says he would be willing to move to a moderate sized city.

Family - my parents are getting old and struggling. They care for my disabled sister who lives with them, and live near my other sister who has 2 children under 5, a 3rd on the way, and a chronic health condition. They live in a very rural area which is too far from London to go for the weekend, which means I use holidays to visit and help and don't get much in the way of proper holidays. I feel guilty as the 'healthy' child that I'm not helping out more. There are a few small to medium sized cities within 2-3hrs drive which could be good locations for FP.

Finances - we are very fortunate to have social housing in centralish south London. If I was to get commutable FP posts from here, I'd probably be able to save up enough for a deposit on a house in a cheaper area later on. This is appealing as we have been very poor in the past (although less so now thankfully!) However applying to S Thames and getting 1 year in London and 1 year in e.g. Maidstone would kind of be the worst of both worlds!

Me - I'm really not a city person at heart, and I've been in London for 10 years now. I'd quite like to move nearer to the sea where the countryside is more accessible. Keen not to move between F1 and F2. I'm top decile in my uni so far, and have always done very well in written exams, so would hope to be at least average in SJT.

Writing all this down has actually been useful already, but I'd like to hear any thoughts, especially from people who have had a range of factors to consider when making similar decisions.
I would definitely aim to go where you would be best suited. Sounds like NCEL or NW London if you want to stay in london. South Thames can kick you to the coast as you said.
EBH has a lot of near N London as a third choice. Southend is on the sea! And commutable in to london for your partner, or out of london for you.
But if you dont see your future in london long term, this is prob when you want to move out.
So if that is where you want to go, choose the deanery your family i in. Your partner can hopefully find an adjustment compromise / a city nearer them. Your family can help him settle.
Last edited by HHaricot; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by HHaricot)
I would definitely aim to go where you would be best suited. Sounds like NCEL or NW London if you want to stay in london. South Thames can kick you to the coast as you said.
EBH has a lot of near N London as a third choice. Southend is on the sea! And commutable in to london for your partner, or out of london for you.
But if you dont see your future in london long term, this is prob when you want to move out.
So if that is where you want to go, choose the deanery your family i in. Your partner can hopefully find an adjustment compromise / a city nearer them. Your family can help him settle.
Thanks - I hadn't really thought about NCE / NW London as the south London hospitals are much closer, and we wouldn't move in London and give up our very cheap rent, but actually lots of the north London hospitals would probably be fine too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30.28%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.17%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
54.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.42%

Watched Threads