kdaniels96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been granted a place on Access to HE - Health and Human Sciences course. I need all the advise I can get. Even if you've done a different access course, do let me know. I want to come in swinging.
vettycroissant
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any specific questions or things you'd like advice on, OP? This will help people respond!
DAVE_CHUNKY
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I gave some general advice in a similar thread for a regular science access course, which I've just completed:

A level revision guides may be useful, as they (should) cover similar subjects.
Practice making diagrams using a computer, as you will be using this skill during assignments. Practice making graphs using Google sheets or Excel to display data gathered during assignment practicals.
Read up on academic writing, finding sources and making citations.
Work out a study schedule and area in which to study. I treated my access course like a full time 9-5 job. It can get intense!

Get started working on your UCAS personal statement now.
HeisenbergsDad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kdaniels96)
I've been granted a place on Access to HE - Health and Human Sciences course. I need all the advise I can get. Even if you've done a different access course, do let me know. I want to come in swinging.
Just completed mine in Science expecting all distinctions.

-For distinctions, you are expected to independently read outside of the provided content for topics (this is not guided).
-For your induction assignment (the ungraded first one) you should figure out what style of essay planning works for you. You're going to have essays on your specific course and it really helps to have a plan.
-As said above, find some cheap second-hand A-Level revision guides.
-Buy some high-quality notepads. For example, oxford notepads have thicker paper and more enjoyable to write in.
-Take broad notes.

In terms of citations, academic writing etc, you will go through all this in the first half of the term.

I managed to work a 20-hour job alongside my course and my grades are expected to be very high. That's because I perfected everything and used ALL the time provided to me (submitted couple hours before the deadline) I'm a perfectionist lol.

Oh lastly, if you NEED an extension for WHATEVER reason, make sure you try and get one approved as it can be the difference between a pass or distinction.
JemimaJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kdaniels96)
Well done, I have just finished mine last week. Just totting up my assignment grades....what do you want to do with your course when you finish? Have you got your ideas planned for applying to university, because come the autumn you will be expected to know what you want to do and where you want to apply - if I can be of any help then give me a shout. What I found amusing was that I did so much better in areas I never considered myself academic in (political participation)!

It is a tough year, so if you have family pre-warn them, but it is worth the effort when you get to June and finish your exam and think wow.

Be organised, and if you not get yourself sorted because you can easily get bogged down at times - you will enjoy it, I was the oldest in my group but was treated as an equal and I am looking forward to starting my university degree in September ;-)
HeisenbergsDad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah another thing you should keep in mind is that getting a bad grade on one assignment doesn't mean you get that grade for the module.
This is because the module grade is an average of the module assignments.

For example a 6 credit module might have 3 assignments.
Assignment 1 D D D
Assignment 2 P M D
Assignment 3 D M M

With these grades you will get 6 credits at D, not 6 credits with different grades. So don't doom and gloom if you mess up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads