I’ve got two weeks to choose between Geography and Earth Science

Watch
Victoria.kohnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve applied for Earth Science and Geography at all Irish unis .Ive made my application in November and I still can’t decide which course to put first on my list .Basically when applying to Irish unis you need to list all your courses in genuine order of preference because let’s say I get the first course on my list , all the rest are lost forever , if I don’t get the first course , I’ll move onto the next courses on my list till I get an offer .Also whilst at uni , switching courses is very hard because there’s a specific number of places for each course in each uni , it’s only possible to change course when a student leaves the particular course you’re interested in .**** my life.I’m doomed .I spent 7 months trying to figure out what I should study and I’m still unsure .The deadline is the 1st of July .FYI I would like to become a researcher/lecturer but with an Earth Science degree I’ll have more opportunities, such as exploration geology (sth I considered in the past , the salaries are very high whereas with a geography degree I’ll have fewer job opportunities).Thanks 🦕🦖🪨🪐🌋🌪🌍
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Victoria.kohnn)
I’ve applied for Earth Science and Geography at all Irish unis .Ive made my application in November and I still can’t decide which course to put first on my list .Basically when applying to Irish unis you need to list all your courses in genuine order of preference because let’s say I get the first course on my list , all the rest are lost forever , if I don’t get the first course , I’ll move onto the next courses on my list till I get an offer .Also whilst at uni , switching courses is very hard because there’s a specific number of places for each course in each uni , it’s only possible to change course when a student leaves the particular course you’re interested in .**** my life.I’m doomed .I spent 7 months trying to figure out what I should study and I’m still unsure .The deadline is the 1st of July .FYI I would like to become a researcher/lecturer but with an Earth Science degree I’ll have more opportunities, such as exploration geology (sth I considered in the past , the salaries are very high whereas with a geography degree I’ll have fewer job opportunities).Thanks 🦕🦖🪨🪐🌋🌪🌍
Hi, Geography student here!
I think the most important thing when choosing which course to do is to pick one that you find the most interesting as you are more likely to get the best grade possible. I would have a good look at modules and see which you would prefer to take. In terms of future careers if you want to go down the research route either undergrad degree would allow you to get into a masters which would set you down a path that you are interested in (For example you could do a more earth science masters after a geography degree). I am personally have just finished a degree in geography and am now applying for a masters in biodiversity. Don't worry too much at this stage just follow your interests!
Immy (3rd year BSc Geography)
Victoria.kohnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi, Geography student here!
I think the most important thing when choosing which course to do is to pick one that you find the most interesting as you are more likely to get the best grade possible. I would have a good look at modules and see which you would prefer to take. In terms of future careers if you want to go down the research route either undergrad degree would allow you to get into a masters which would set you down a path that you are interested in (For example you could do a more earth science masters after a geography degree). I am personally have just finished a degree in geography and am now applying for a masters in biodiversity. Don't worry too much at this stage just follow your interests!
Immy (3rd year BSc Geography)
Thanks Immy !Yeah I should have a thorough look at the modules and perhaps have a chat with the school counsellor, fingers crossed I’ll make the right decision.Good luck with your masters.
phione
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I'm a second-year geoscience student that absolutely regrets my decisions and wishes I did geography instead. It's really up to you, and actually, I was thinking along the same lines as you with thinking geoscience being more employable, but this year applying for placement years was virtually impossible while geography students had a lot more offers.

There are definitely interesting parts of geoscience;; discovering how exactly igneous intrusions crystalise to form economic ore deposits, and paleoclimatology is really cool, I can also vouch for the fact that (pre-covid) it's a very outdoorsy degree, with a lot of focus being put on geological mapping and identifying rocks under a microscope or in the field. However, personally, I didn't realise just how rock based it would be??? Plagioclase and sparry limestone cement will be the death of me.

Either way, if you're not satisfied with your degree there's always your masters. Many people do a masters in an adjacent course, so if you decided to do geography but wanted more rocks there's always that option and vice versa.

Good luck deciding!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
15.04%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (76)
30.89%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12.2%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.54%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.69%
I think it's an unfair expectation (65)
26.42%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.22%

Watched Threads