Mxledictions
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
TL;DR: Will SFE fund my retake of 2nd year, after I take a year out, having done a prelim year already?

I'm in my 2nd year of my BSc course, having done a preliminary year also and I am thinking of taking an IoS due to mental health reasons.

I know I need to notify SFE and that they won't 'fund' my year out, but I think I might have to retake 2nd year - I'm srsly struggling rn guys.

Will SFE fund my retake? Did my prelim year count as my 'extra year'? If I won't be funded, would I have to save up money for the rest of my course?

Please bring good news x
Last edited by Mxledictions; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Ask SFE forum, hopefully one of their official reps will be able to answer you.

Note that normally you get funding equal to the length of your degree (i.e. the original, official length - if your course includes a foundation year as part of the full course and has a separate course code for this course including the foundation year, this is included), plus one year (the "gift" year), minus the number of years of prior study in higher education.

It's unclear whether it will be covered or not because I don't understand what you mean by a "year out". Did you receive any funding from SFE in this year out? If you haven't had to retake any other years, you haven't studied at uni before this current degree you're on, and you haven't changed course since doing your preliminary year, your retake year should be covered by the "gift year".
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Mxledictions
Rep:
?
Aah, I think you've answered my question but for clarity, I will be taking an Interruption of Study (IoS) for 12 months. So, after these exams I will be applying to take a year out to focus on stabilising my mental health.

SF doesn't fund this year out, I have to let my uni know and they'll let SF know that I won't be attending that year and the usual loan payments don't come in.

My worry is if I'll still be funded after I take an IoS, and if I had to retake on my return.
Mxledictions
Rep:
?
I hope this doesn't change things but I think it might, I did transfer courses. I was originally in a "BSc - with a preliminary year" but I transfered to the "BSc" course.

Same subject, just without the 'preliminary year' part in the title. Ugh maybe I shouldn't have done that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (38)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
9.02%
No I am happy with my choice (74)
55.64%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
6.77%

Watched Threads