What are the Freshers Pass tickets and are they worth it?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel like this is a silly question but what the Fresher Pass tickets? Are they really worth £40 if it's only for 3 events? Why do people get them? Surely cheaper just to pay for the club entry rather than that. I don't really know anything about the whole freshers scene other than people go out clubbing a lot, and I would appreciate any responses!
Shaqiloheal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We are still living with Covid.... I highly doubt you will be at your local club paying overpriced door entry and blue wkds any time soon.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Shaqiloheal)
We are still living with Covid.... I highly doubt you will be at your local club paying overpriced door entry and blue wkds any time soon.
Thank you for your honesty. The only reason I asked was because according to the Governments road map by september all over 18 will be vaccinated and everything will be open/back to normal. Obviously this might not be the case, I was just trying to think positively
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I would advise against it, they're not all they're cracked up to be and your uni will hold fresher events. You can also arrange to go out with your flatmates x
Anonymous #1
If anyone else has a potentially more helpful response, that would be greatly appreciated!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If anyone else has a potentially more helpful response, that would be greatly appreciated!
If someone is pushing you to buy freshers tickets (especially via fatsoma) at this point in the year then they're likely to be
- unofficial events
- clash with student union events
- not provide refunds (last year organisers of these events ripped off thousands of students for events that either didn't happen or we're changed to an expensive version of a night at spoons)
- unlikely to actually sell out

The people pushing these links are reps. They're getting paid (badly) for lying about events selling out.

Don't spend any money on events that you can't afford to lose.
Find your university official student union accounts on social media and follow them for information about the SU events (that actually DO sell out)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PQ)
If someone is pushing you to buy freshers tickets (especially via fatsoma) at this point in the year then they're likely to be
- unofficial events
- clash with student union events
- not provide refunds (last year organisers of these events ripped off thousands of students for events that either didn't happen or we're changed to an expensive version of a night at spoons)
- unlikely to actually sell out

The people pushing these links are reps. They're getting paid (badly) for lying about events selling out.

Don't spend any money on events that you can't afford to lose.
Find your university official student union accounts on social media and follow them for information about the SU events (that actually DO sell out)
Thank you so much My courses group chat has a lot of these links with people saying to buy them. I don't want to miss out on things but also its a lot of money to shell out when its not certain if we will be able to do them. I'll try to find official SU accounts on social media. I really appreciate this!
Anonymous #1
I would advise against it, they're not all they're cracked up to be and your uni will hold fresher events. You can also arrange to go out with your flatmates x
Thank you, I don't really know how the whole freshers thing work and the stuff I've found online tends to be very specific for their university not mine. Thank you again
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, I don't really know how the whole freshers thing work and the stuff I've found online tends to be very specific for their university not mine. Thank you again
Your university will have 1-2 weeks of Freshers events where everyone will meet up to make friends, it'll be casual events / parties / hangouts, and there'll always be the club's so you'll have stuff to do without spending too much money. The fatsoma events are often overrated but you can tag along last minute if you change your mind
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Ultimately you're all new to uni so don't worry about events now, it'll all sort out
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much My courses group chat has a lot of these links with people saying to buy them. I don't want to miss out on things but also its a lot of money to shell out when its not certain if we will be able to do them. I'll try to find official SU accounts on social media. I really appreciate this!
The people posting these links are often not even students (never mind freshers). A lot of the promoters for the events set up the group chats though and will kick you out if you question it They often work in pairs/groups and will chat among themselves about how many tickets they've bought. It gets really obvious and transparent!
Shaqiloheal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your honesty. The only reason I asked was because according to the Governments road map by september all over 18 will be vaccinated and everything will be open/back to normal. Obviously this might not be the case, I was just trying to think positively
Id be more worried trying to survive year 1 at uni since the majority of students would been given grades that dont reflect their true level and many will of bitten more than they can chew and should of either went to college to do further education or redo their highers/A Levels.

Not saying this to put students down but many have literally no idea of the rude awakening that uni has for them.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The group chats might be lifting phone numbers to spam them with. Happened to me in first year. Couldn't actually block it, had to just filter out every text with a bit.ly link.

(Original post by PQ)
The people posting these links are often not even students (never mind freshers). A lot of the promoters for the events set up the group chats though and will kick you out if you question it They often work in pairs/groups and will chat among themselves about how many tickets they've bought. It gets really obvious and transparent!
first-hand experience there lol
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
first-hand experience there lol
:moon:

I get to try to deal with these ********s every year. I swear some of these "freshers" are older than me!
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Any idea how to deal with them, they’re just seem so rude and say stuff like “someone’s gonna miss out” when I say I’m waiting to get tickets. I don’t know if I should make a new chat for people who aren’t interested in the club nights? I want to be able to use the chats in the future to meet my flatmates but at the moment the messages are all from ticket pushers.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Any idea how to deal with them, they’re just seem so rude and say stuff like “someone’s gonna miss out” when I say I’m waiting to get tickets. I don’t know if I should make a new chat for people who aren’t interested in the club nights? I want to be able to use the chats in the future to meet my flatmates but at the moment the messages are all from ticket pushers.
Normally it’s best to ignore them but keep asking other people in the chat about what courses they are going to do and where they’re going to live etc. Focusing on the details for your university and asking questions about what other people like doing (films/tv , music, food, pets, hobbies, books etc) is going to help track down if there’s anyone in the chat who is a genuine applicant and help you find people that you have things in common with.

Also ask around to find out if there’s a discord channel - the reps don’t usually run the discord channels and so don’t tend to bother with those so much.

It’s definitely worth seeing if your university or SU has an “official” fb group too. They often police the groups to keep out spammers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (47)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (89)
11.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.35%
Lack of purpose or motivation (99)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.17%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (85)
11%
Financial worries (51)
6.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (34)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.31%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (60)
7.76%

Watched Threads