I am in a really bad position right now (transfer uni)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I will transfer to the uni of Birmingham for international relations(2nd year) this September but I feel like I am not even enjoying my course and I visit Birmingham today and the city centre is not as good as London in my opinion. I am an international students and prefer so much more London even if it's more expensive . I would like to change my course into film studies, but I am not sure if I would like it . I love watching movies and analysing characters etc... but I am not sure if Film studies is about that . Moreover, I am not really rich so my parents would expect that I have a good salary after graduation. But since month I thinking that it is impossible for everyone who studies international relations to find a job , I mean in my current uni there are about 100 students studying it and in the uk it must be a total of 25.000 or less . But on the other hand, many people say that film studies is a waste of time and that you do not earn enough money with it . And in London you also have a higher chance of getting "famous" with a film studies degree. I do not know what to do . I know that I sound stupid but I please need some advise
Azuree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I will transfer to the uni of Birmingham for international relations(2nd year) this September but I feel like I am not even enjoying my course and I visit Birmingham today and the city centre is not as good as London in my opinion. I am an international students and prefer so much more London even if it's more expensive . I would like to change my course into film studies, but I am not sure if I would like it . I love watching movies and analysing characters etc... but I am not sure if Film studies is about that . Moreover, I am not really rich so my parents would expect that I have a good salary after graduation. But since month I thinking that it is impossible for everyone who studies international relations to find a job , I mean in my current uni there are about 100 students studying it and in the uk it must be a total of 25.000 or less . But on the other hand, many people say that film studies is a waste of time and that you do not earn enough money with it . And in London you also have a higher chance of getting "famous" with a film studies degree. I do not know what to do . I know that I sound stupid but I please need some advise
Hi! Any kind of film studies degree will automatically require you to study both recent and historical films so you can understand the theory behind how they are made. You do need to be careful though some of them will be more practical. If you want to study film specifically though you need to be sure you're dedicated to it- the best advice I could give you is to look at different film related uni degrees, read the modules they teach and see if they interest you! Worst case scenario you get that international relations degree and start at an entry film production job. Most film careers prefer practical experience anyways
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi , thank you so much for your advise. I would love to study film but I am afraid that I will mess up and regret my decision
Azuree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi , thank you so much for your advise. I would love to study film but I am afraid that I will mess up and regret my decision
honestly there's no easy way to make these decisions, I personally am starting a media/advertising degree at a lower ranked uni so maybe I'm biased in my views- but do your research and make the decision based on your own health and happiness
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads