Graphical calculators (specifically Fx-cg50)

Watch
Ephimar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone! I've just finished year 11 and have managed to find a part time job, and as such I'm looking into getting as many college supplies as I can. Before getting the job I had looked into graphical calculators but realised quickly that they were far outside of my budget, but now I can justify spending ~£80-120. The best option I've seen so far is the cg50 due to the quality of the display etc. and it's listed on my college's website as something that is used in class, but I just wanted to check, does it have all of the necessary functions for all 3 strands of a level maths? And also would it be useable for chem, bio, and physics also? I wouldn't want to buy it and then find that I need to buy another calculator, as carrying around two would be impractical and it would be too expensive. I use desmos pretty much every day (sad I know) so I would probably use the graphing facilities a lot, and I'm 99% sure that they are permitted in exams as long as the memory is wiped. Thank you for any advice and I'm open to alternatives as long as they aren't much more than the price point already listed (also how bad of an idea would it be to buy one second-hand? I assume it would be fine but I don't want to receive a defective calculator).

Ps. If anyone with experience with this model could tell me what other features it has I'd appreciate it greatly.
fhsfhaj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, I use the calculator fx-570EX which you can find at whsmith and I use this for alevel maths. It has all the necessary functions needed for the course and it's around £21.00, which is cheaper than the cg50 which their normal price is roughly around £110 - 140 depending where you buy it.
xOutcast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hihi,
For AL Maths (Not Further Maths) and the sciences, I'd use the Classwiz FX-991EX. It's the same as above, but has the solar cells for around the same price. The CG50 is very good, but only necessary for Further Maths in my opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (34)
15.11%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (69)
30.67%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.44%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.78%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.33%

Watched Threads