Classics A level - no vocab list

Watch this thread
mandyelicup
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am taking Latin and Classical Greek A levels next year, and have just learnt that there is no defined vocab list for either subject.
This is scaring me a bit - could they in theory ask you any vocabulary? That seems overly extensive, but I don't know...
Also, why would they not make a list? Is there any particular skill they want to promote by leaving this open?
I would be most grateful for any responses.
shueb1211
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
"caecilius est in horto" meaning caecilius is in the garden. As long as you know this you will pass Latin easily. (BTW I studied Latin and Classics at GCSE and got a 8)
Last edited by shueb1211; 1 year ago
Mulefa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hi,

If you look at some of the A-level past papers, there is still a vocab list for the unseen passages with lots of obscure words ("woo", "lamp", even "neighbouring") - so I doubt you'd be expected to know absolute loads of rare words so don't worry too much about it. The specification also suggests that they'll build on the GCSE/AS defined vocab lists so look at those and also learn some common words in any texts that you study; if anything crops up which you haven't seen before, most of the candidates probably won't have a clue too. And what with COVID, I don't think they'll be putting anything too challenging on the next few papers in terms of vocab!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads