CyanideX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello! I currently am doing Maths, Computer Science, and Economics, and I plan on doing Computer Science at Uni. Our school sadly barely post any opportunities for computer science, but for other subjects like medicine or law, they post a million things Does anyone know where I could look to find opportunities for Computer Science like internships or anything that I could mention when applying to Uni? I am currently in Year 12 btw. Thank you!
arshdixit893
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CyanideX)
Hello! I currently am doing Maths, Computer Science, and Economics, and I plan on doing Computer Science at Uni. Our school sadly barely post any opportunities for computer science, but for other subjects like medicine or law, they post a million things Does anyone know where I could look to find opportunities for Computer Science like internships or anything that I could mention when applying to Uni? I am currently in Year 12 btw. Thank you!
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/un...d_reading.html
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post88246090
teachyourselfcs.com

USACO is also good, look into the british IOI qualifying olympiads.
look into MOOCs, CS summer schools might be a good idea I think UCL has one

Look into RSI, it's free but really competitive, look into other research programs.

you can also try and get an internship in industry, haven't done this but I know a person who did and he said he emailed a ton of small startups
username5770391
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For things like internships, it's going to be a matter of looking around on job sites and similar I'm afraid.

Besides internships though, there's tons of things you could do that will look good on an application. A big one will be just doing some projects, probably programming projects, and documenting them somewhere like a blog or on Github. You don't need to be in a professional position to develop your skills and experience.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CyanideX)
Hi CyanideX

It is great that you are considering studying Computer SCience at uni. Whilst I am unable to advise you on places to look for internships etc. one of our Computer Science Students - Tom - is available to chat via our Ask a Student Page on our university website who may be able to advise you on places to look as well as answer any questions you may have about studying Computer Science - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

Hope this helps

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
Get Udemy and start implementing stuff and put it on your public GitHub account.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (10)
6.49%
Uncertainty around my education (15)
9.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (18)
11.69%
Lack of purpose or motivation (23)
14.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (10)
6.49%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (6)
3.9%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (11)
7.14%
Financial worries (9)
5.84%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (3)
1.95%
Exposure to negative news/social media (12)
7.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
3.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (19)
12.34%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (13)
8.44%

Watched Threads