Catrionab92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has any mature student stayed in student halls and found it OK? I'm 30 years old returning next year 2022 and but apprehensive because of my age. I've looked into private renting but alot seem outdated where halls seems very modern?
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Catrionab92)
Has any mature student stayed in student halls and found it OK? I'm 30 years old returning next year 2022 and but apprehensive because of my age. I've looked into private renting but alot seem outdated where halls seems very modern?
Hi @catrionab92 , I am a mature student and will be returning to university in September and moving into Private Student accomodation through VITA Student. They have very modern accomodation, much like halls. I am unsure where you are based, however they have VITA accomodation in many locations in the UK.
I hope this helps.

Good Luck! - Chloe
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d probably go for one if the studio flats with own kitchen bathroom rather than shared kitchen. The unite ones near my campus, I think have communal lounge areas but you avoid the annoyance of messy kitchens.
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I’d probably go for one if the studio flats with own kitchen bathroom rather than shared kitchen. The unite ones near my campus, I think have communal lounge areas but you avoid the annoyance of messy kitchens.
Agree. Have your own space if you can
lyonbabe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My university has suggested that I stay in postgraduate halls instead of und halls. Maybe look into that.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Catrionab92)Has any mature student stayed in student halls and found it OK? I'm 30 years old returning next year 2022 and but apprehensive because of my age. I've looked into private renting but alot seem outdated where halls seems very modern?

Hi Catrionab92

When I came to Hull, I stayed in a student house which was with 4 Postgrads, which was fine. As I was 56 at the time staying with 18 year olds would have been a little strange, for them as well as me. I would be surprised if that wasn't an option for you, so contact the accommodation team and see what they offer. I would say that sharing with other students is a good way to settle in in your first year, afterwards you can decide whether to find your own place or rent with the friends you are sure to make.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I found it fine, I lived in Halls for 3 years aged 38-41. It's a mindset. I'd expect normal age students to behave like normal age students, and stop when the communal rules said stop. I joined in with whatever I wanted to, and they were welcoming and accepting of that. There was never any mention of the age difference in 3 years.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know where you are hoping to study, Catriona?
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I found it fine, I lived in Halls for 3 years aged 38-41. It's a mindset. I'd expect normal age students to behave like normal age students, and stop when the communal rules said stop. I joined in with whatever I wanted to, and they were welcoming and accepting of that. There was never any mention of the age difference in 3 years.
Really no mention ? I get asked it and I’m in the same bracket as you.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
(Original post by Catrionab92)Has any mature student stayed in student halls and found it OK? I'm 30 years old returning next year 2022 and but apprehensive because of my age. I've looked into private renting but alot seem outdated where halls seems very modern?

Hi Catrionab92

When I came to Hull, I stayed in a student house which was with 4 Postgrads, which was fine. As I was 56 at the time staying with 18 year olds would have been a little strange, for them as well as me. I would be surprised if that wasn't an option for you, so contact the accommodation team and see what they offer. I would say that sharing with other students is a good way to settle in in your first year, afterwards you can decide whether to find your own place or rent with the friends you are sure to make.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Sound advice. Only thing living with postgrads most are there for one year. Also the people on your course will be in undergrad halls but get to know them as well as you can and as many as you can.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 161BMW)
Really no mention ? I get asked it and I’m in the same bracket as you.
No mention ever, even when I played sport for the university. Maybe I'm just wearing better than you though
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try to get grouped with other mature students in halls
Studio
House share with other mature students
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
No mention ever, even when I played sport for the university. Maybe I'm just wearing better than you though
Haha you rocking a full head of hair or going for the Phil Mitchell look ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (34)
27.87%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
9.02%
No I am happy with my choice (68)
55.74%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.38%

Watched Threads