Experiences of being LGBTQ+ in other countries

Watch
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
IT'S PRIDE MONTH!!

What are some of your experiences of being LGBTQ+ in other countries? Were they positive? We'd love to hear about them! :yep:
Last edited by sunny.side.up; 1 month ago
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
BurstingBubbles
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LGBTQ+ Travel Safety Index

https://mk0asherfergussb6f31.kinstac...-20211.25x.png
Trilobite.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Excellent graphic.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Puts the uk in perspective.🤔
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
Thank you for sharing that!
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
IT'S PRIDE MONTH!!

What are some of your experiences of being LGBTQ+ in other countries? Were they positive? We'd love to hear about them! :yep:
I like in England, so can't comment on what it's like to live in another country - but when I've been on holiday to places like New York, Croatia, Ireland, Spain etc. I've had no issues and generally felt safe. Perhaps that because I've happened to go to relatively safe countries. There are plenty of countries that I wouldn't go to, not openly LGBTQ+ and/or with my partner though to be honest

I've used this before when thinking of where I want to go on holiday/travelling - such a shame I feel the need to but yeah
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
I like in England, so can't comment on what it's like to live in another country - but when I've been on holiday to places like New York, Croatia, Ireland, Spain etc. I've had no issues and generally felt safe. Perhaps that because I've happened to go to relatively safe countries. There are plenty of countries that I wouldn't go to, not openly LGBTQ+ and/or with my partner though to be honest
I know, it's really upsetting. Why can't people just be treated like people regardless of gender, race, religion, sexuality? :erm:
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I'd love to see some sort of youtube thing where a gay male couple visit each of those countries and document their experiences and also try to do challenges ... like "blowing a kiss to the Iraqi Armed guard" ... or having sex outside the pakistan prime minister's house at midnight ..and stuff

If any gay person wants to make a popular youtube channel and go viral this is your ticket...!
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
I'd love to see some sort of youtube thing where a gay male couple visit each of those countries and document their experiences and also try to do challenges ... like "blowing a kiss to the Iraqi Armed guard" ... or having sex outside the pakistan prime minister's house at midnight ..and stuff

If any gay person wants to make a popular youtube channel and go viral this is your ticket...!
It's an interesting idea, but the people would most defintely get put in jail and/or get attacked.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I'd love to see some sort of youtube thing where a gay male couple visit each of those countries and document their experiences and also try to do challenges ... like having sex outside the pakistan prime minister's house at midnight
Huh
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
It's an interesting idea, but the people would most defintely get put in jail and/or get attacked.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Huh
it could be like a challenge to get away with it!
that sort of thing!

like blow the kiss then sprint away into an awaiting vehicle

or have sex outside the prime ministers house at midnight and not get seen or heard by the guards or anything
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
or have sex outside the prime ministers house at midnight and not get seen or heard by the guards or anything
As I said earlier: huh?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
i'm pretty proud of my home country (Canada) in the sense it's pretty progressive in acceptance of LGBTQ+ individuals and their rights compared to other countries. i mean, i remember my hometown had its first gay mayor ages(!) ago and it was hardly a big deal. when my first bisexual (or maybe lesbian :curious:) friend started dating someone of the same sex no one batted an eyelash. also proud to say we had same-sex marriage over 10 years before the US and the UK. oh yeah, you can choose third-gender on your passport for non-binary/trans people and we have laws in place about public persons not discriminating against non-binary/trans people by refusing to use their pronouns in a public capacity (very controversial indeed).
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
i'm pretty proud of my home country (Canada) in the sense it's pretty progressive in acceptance of LGBTQ+ individuals and their rights compared to other countries. i mean, i remember my hometown had its first gay mayor ages(!) ago and it was hardly a big deal. when my first bisexual (or maybe lesbian :curious:) friend started dating someone of the same sex no one batted an eyelash. also proud to say we had same-sex marriage over 10 years before the US and the UK. oh yeah, you can choose third-gender on your passport for non-binary/trans people and we have laws in place about public persons not discriminating against non-binary/trans people by refusing to use their pronouns in a public capacity (very controversial indeed).

In my home country it looks like you'd get 10 yrs prison and hard labour :dontknow:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Am fortunate to have lived in the UK my whole life but https://www.queeringthemap.com/ is a wonderful resource that shows just how diverse and varied the LGBT+ population is and how we aren't going anywhere :pride:
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
it could be like a challenge to get away with it!
that sort of thing!

like blow the kiss then sprint away into an awaiting vehicle

Oh. I would def hope they don't put them having sex on YouTube, though. :lol:
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
That's awesome! :ahee:
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Am fortunate to have lived in the UK my whole life but https://www.queeringthemap.com/ is a wonderful resource that shows just how diverse and varied the LGBT+ population is and how we aren't going anywhere :pride:
It's not fair, but I'm glad you got to live in an environment that was accepting. :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.18%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.45%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads