I feel like the highest wage rate you get without uni is £9-£10 an hour or £12 but

Watch
Anon346775
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thats hard and rare. Is this true?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anon346775)
thats hard and rare. Is this true?
I know a couple people who skipped uni who make 6 figures.

Went and got an apprenticeship, then went self employed.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And your suggestion is founded upon what evidence?
Anon346775
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
And your suggestion is founded upon what evidence?
its more of a generalisation because none of my siblings went to uni apart from the eldest one and she went after studying a BTEC at college, and even then she didn’t find a job in the field she wanted as she works in retail and did a degree in business marketing, my siblings didn’t go to uni and they work in retail, NHS and security, with security being the only one paying what a graduate could earn or a lot of money, like he earns k. the others pay £7.41 an hour part time job, £10 an hour (even after apprenticeship) and I earn £6.56 (minimum wage) an hour (without uni) because its my first job and I am working 25 hours with 2 days working, 3 days studying. My brother says you can get £12 an hour (without uni) but thats rare, otherwise top is £10 an hour (if not in security). My brother in law did a degree after doing a BTEC at college and studied business at uni, didn’t find a job in his career sector and got into security earning k.

I would think whether you get a decent job/graduate job after uni depends on the degree you do, like if you do psychology at uni you can be a therapist and earn a lot more than minimum wage.
Last edited by Anon346775; 1 month ago
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My electrician charges me £85 per hour for labour
RedGiant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its more of a generalisation because none of my siblings went to uni apart from the eldest one and she went after studying a BTEC at college, and even then she didn’t find a job in the field she wanted as she works in retail and did a degree in business marketing, my siblings didn’t go to uni and they work in retail, NHS and security, with security being the only one paying what a graduate could earn or a lot of money, like he earns k. the others pay £7.41 an hour part time job, £10 an hour (even after apprenticeship) and I earn £6.56 (minimum wage) an hour (without uni) because its my first job and I am working 25 hours with 2 days working, 3 days studying. My brother says you can get £12 an hour (if not in security) but thats rare, otherwise top is £10 an hour. My brother in law did a degree after doing a BTEC at college and studied business at uni, didn’t find a job in his career sector and got into security earning k.

I would think whether you get a decent job/graduate job after uni depends on the degree you do, like if you do psychology at uni you can be a therapist and earn a lot more than minimum wage.
There's many jobs that you can get without a degree that pay well. If you have the determination, ambition and relevant skills, you can easily earn much more than £12/hour without having a degree. Lots of different routes that one can take.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's plenty of jobs that pay decent money that do not require you to go to uni.

Also, uni doesn't guarantee you a good job. Some jobs that require a degree pay good money, yes. But others don't. Depending on what you study you aren't even guaranteed a job in the career area you studied.

The idea that you have to go to uni to get a decent paying job is a load of rubbish.
Anon346775
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
There's many jobs that you can get without a degree that pay well. If you have the determination, ambition and relevant skills, you can easily earn much more than £12/hour without having a degree. Lots of different routes that one can take.
Other than the apprenticeship route, what other route is there?
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just look for better jobs tbh
RedGiant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On-job training; self-taught (e.g. coding skills); self-employment; professional qualifications and certifications; e.g. Cisco network certifications, AAT, etc); general experience, among other routes. If you have self-discipline, self-vision and determination, among other things, there’s no reason why you can’t get to wherever you want to be if you’re patient. A career is not something that’s built overnight.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you learn a trade (e.g. plumbing, electrician, carpentry, mechanic etc etc etc) you can earn decent money.
I know it's a iffy industry at the moment but working in the travel industry as well you can get decent money. My sister gets quite a bit of comission when she sells holidays.
Quite a few of these jobs just require the relevant courses at college or an apprenticeship.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I'm a Gardener by trade, I have an HND and other vocational stuff but no degree, and I make about £15 an hour, £20 at a push for the harder jobs.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My friend has a part time job which pays £20+ per hour - and that’s whilst they’re still at uni, so no degree required.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise