Stay in the UK or go abroad?

Watch
MarcusTaBezt699
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently a Year 12 student and sceptical about my uni choices. I was thinking of going abroad to escape the massive tuition fees in Ireland or Holland. Or I could stay here, take out a student loan and go to a local uni like Brunel or Reading, what would you recommend?
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure Holland or Ireland is so cheap now we are not in the EU
Last edited by ReadingMum; 1 month ago
MarcusTaBezt699
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
Not sure Holland or Ireland is so cheap now we are not in the EU
I am half Romanian and have a Romanian passport so it would be cheap as I am paying EU fees
danielhaslam19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm planning to go to Manchester Uni (I've lived in Greater Manchester my whole life) since it's extremely top-tier for the subject I'm going to read - physics. On this course, 3rd year should hopefully be in a European country.

I feel as if people in our society are very ungrateful by nature. And so you will find people really make a massive deal about stuff like tuition fees. In reality, we actually have a very good system for tuition fees and cost of living. If you can't pay tuition fees and your household income suggests that your family will struggle to, then the government will just pay the fee straight to the uni and you have to pay it off in future. The same goes with cost of living while at uni (max. ~£9,500 a year loan). That works out so that a part time job, a loan and family support makes uni finances pretty easy so long as you're sensible with money.

As for paying the loans back, you have to be earning higher than £26,575 to have to pay a penny back. Once you earn above this, you're only paying back 9% of your wage. Therefore if your salary is, say, 30k after tax, you're still getting about 27k. It's really not that bad.

So yeah. I'd start worrying about tuition fees if you're considering, say, the USA. Other than that I really wouldn't bat an eyelid and worry about tuition fees in England. I'd consider more what opportunities that different unis give you.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danielhaslam19)
I'm planning to go to Manchester Uni (I've lived in Greater Manchester my whole life) since it's extremely top-tier for the subject I'm going to read - physics. On this course, 3rd year should hopefully be in a European country.

I feel as if people in our society are very ungrateful by nature. And so you will find people really make a massive deal about stuff like tuition fees. In reality, we actually have a very good system for tuition fees and cost of living. If you can't pay tuition fees and your household income suggests that your family will struggle to, then the government will just pay the fee straight to the uni and you have to pay it off in future. The same goes with cost of living while at uni (max. ~£9,500 a year loan). That works out so that a part time job, a loan and family support makes uni finances pretty easy so long as you're sensible with money.

As for paying the loans back, you have to be earning higher than £26,575 to have to pay a penny back. Once you earn above this, you're only paying back 9% of your wage. Therefore if your salary is, say, 30k after tax, you're still getting about 27k. It's really not that bad.

So yeah. I'd start worrying about tuition fees if you're considering, say, the USA. Other than that I really wouldn't bat an eyelid and worry about tuition fees in England. I'd consider more what opportunities that different unis give you.
Would you say Manchester is a good uni for business accounting? Like it is reputable and prestigious?
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danielhaslam19)

I'm going to add 2 things to this:

1. A lot of US unis can be affordable if they offer need-based financial aid - you can read about that more in a stickied thread in the Studying in North America Forum

2. You're totally right! Student loan repayments in the UK are extremely generous. You mentioned the threshold, which, as far as I can tell is currently £27,295 per year. You also only repay 9% of the wage that you earn over the threshold. So if you're earning, say £30,000 per year, you actually only pay 9% of £2,705, so about £243 per year. Obviously, you also have interest, which is a maximum of RPI + 3%.

It's also worth noting that if you haven't fully paid off your loan within 30 years, it is written off and you no longer have to repay any further amounts.

A note for OP: have you maybe considered a UK-based course with a study-abroad year? It can give you an international experience even if you decide to stay in the UK for university.
Last edited by ry7xsfa; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.27%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.07%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.18%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (34)
10.15%
Financial worries (24)
7.16%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.46%

Watched Threads