CompTIA A+ Certification - The Ultimate Study Guide and IT Career Guide

Watch
pcWizz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone.

I am a graduate in Computing & Information System and I've been working as an IT professional since year 2010.

My career started as an IT technician before falling into IT projects as a software testing professional.

Most students and graduates will be unsure about the area of IT to go into, but learning the fundamentals is always useful.

This thread is an repository of basic 'IT hardware' information which aligns with CompTIA A+. If you have any questions about the information posted or need help starting your IT journey, feel free to ask.
Last edited by pcWizz; 1 month ago
pcWizz
Rep:
?
What is overclocking?

• Overclocking is the action of increasing a component clock rate or bus speed above the manufacturers factory speed.
  • This is often applied on the BIOS or software level.
  • Typically, this applies to the Central Processing Unit (CPU), Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) and Random (Random Access Memory).
  • Overclocking aids the component to perform more operations per second and thus improve performance
  • Common activity within the gaming community or individuals attempting to squeeze additional performance out the component

Disadvantages of overclocking?
  • In validate the warranty of the component
  • Introduce additional to the component and within the case
  • Reduce the life span of the component

pcWizz
Rep:
?
What is a processor?

• Known as a processor, central processing unit or CPU
  • It is a circuit board that performs logic & calculations; essentially it’s the brain of the machine.
  • Processors are in many devices such as a laptop, tablet, mobile phone, gaming console etc.
  • The processor is responsible for executing instructions, performing calculations and running programs.
  • The instructions are fetched from the computer’s RAM and then turn it into an action.
  • In the early years a processor had a single core and was limited to a single set of tasks.
  • Today’s multi-core processors are capable of running multiple processes at the same time and thus increasing the performance when multitasking or in supported applications
  • There are numerous players in the processor market such as Intel, AMD Nvidia, Motorola, Via, Arm Holdings, Qualcomm etc

pcWizz
Rep:
?
What is a power supply unit or PSU?

• The PSU is an acronym for Power Supply Unit
  • The PSU converts the alternative current (AC) into direct current (DC)
  • It regulates the output voltage of the direct current
  • The alternative current constantly changes directions and it’s found in your main energy supply
  • Direct current is similar to a battery because it flows in one direction
  • The converted energy provides power to the numerous internal components within the case such as the motherboard optical drives and disk drives etc
  • Each component connected has its own wattage requirements and provides energy for it
  • Many form factors such as ATX, SFX, ITX etc
  • Check the compatible of the PSU against your motherboard and case before carry out an upgrade
  • When purchasing a power supply wattage is an important consideration, the greater the wattage rating the more power the unit can provide, so it’s important to evaluate how much power your components require to operate effectively.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads