IB.Makes.Me.Cry
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got accepted into City, Reading, Warwick, King's, and Royal Holloway for similar courses (City, Reading: Law, Warwick: Law and sociology, King's: History, Royal Holloway: Law with criminology), all of which I like. Due to King's late response, I had until the 14th of July to choose Firm and Insurance, but I made my decision yesterday for the sake of mental peace and to get places for accommodation.

I chose RH as my Firm since I love the campus, course (I love criminology), and location, and chose King's as my Insurance since it's my dream uni, but the course is for history instead of law (making this less desirable for obvious reasons). While I thought I would finally be at peace with my choice since RH was my second favorite, I still feel like I should have taken the longer route and studied at King's since it's both more prestigious and the fact that it is/was my dream uni.

Did I f--- up by listening to my heart and choosing RH for the course and experience as opposed to my Rusell Group choices? Did I f--- up for not picking King's for both its prestige and my prior desire to study there (albeit diminished due to the course not being what I want it to be) because of my fear of the experience I'd miss not studying law and the experience of the conversion course?
I guess only time will tell for sure, but what do you guys think?
Last edited by IB.Makes.Me.Cry; 1 month ago
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IB.Makes.Me.Cry)
I got accepted into City, Reading, Warwick, King's, and Royal Holloway for similar courses (City, Reading: Law, Warwick: Law and sociology, King's: History, Royal Holloway: Law with criminology), all of which I like. Due to King's late response, I had until the 14th of July to choose Firm and Insurance, but I made my decision yesterday for the sake of mental peace and to get places for accommodation.

I chose RH as my Firm since I love the campus, course (I love criminology), and location, and chose King's as my Insurance since it's my dream uni, but the course is for history instead of law (making this less desirable for obvious reasons). While I thought I would finally be at peace with my choice since RH was my second favorite, I still feel like I should have taken the longer route and studied at King's since it's both more prestigious and the fact that it is/was my dream uni.

Did I f--- up by listening to my heart and choosing RH for the course and experience as opposed to my Rusell Group choices? Did I f--- up for not picking King's for both its prestige and my prior desire to study there (albeit diminished due to the course not being what I want it to be) because of my fear of the experience I'd miss not studying law and the experience of the conversion course?
I guess only time will tell for sure, but what do you guys think?
you made the right choice, you're going to have to do that course for 4 or so years, so you're going to have to like it. You can do a postgrad at Kings?
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's more important to study the course that you'll enjoy the most at a uni which you know you'll like rather than a course that you wouldn't enjoy as much just because of the prestige of the uni. So no you didn't mess up- you made the right choice for you because you chose your favourite course. Also, just because King's was your dream uni doesn't mean that it's the best route for you (due to the course not being the one you want to do) and it sounds like you really like royal holloway. So don't worry about it. It's not like you can change it now anyway so just trust that things will turn out ok. Good luck with everything
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Enjoying your course is always better than choosing a (perceived) "better" uni where you don't like the course.

If, however, you really feel like you made a mistake and can't stop that nagging feeling, there might be the possibility of swapping your firm with your insurance and vice versa (have done it myself in the past).
Last edited by Miss_mischy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (112)
44.98%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.25%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads