Lindsay1985
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently without a placement for my social work course because despite me saying I can't weekends they have placed me somewhere that works weekends. Does anyone know what happens if they cannot find me a placement or has anyone else been through something similar?
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lindsay1985)
I'm currently without a placement for my social work course because despite me saying I can't weekends they have placed me somewhere that works weekends. Does anyone know what happens if they cannot find me a placement or has anyone else been through something similar?
Unfortunately health & social care work involves 24/7 cover no matter which area it is and it no difference for social workers as they to work 24/7 due to nature of job.

You'll have to do this placement as if you refuse say then it can lead to you failing the placement at first and also the course to as you'll probably have xxxxx hours to complete for all placements and university studies over duration of the course.

But ask then about it again and see what they say.
I don't know if they will be accommodating just for you as be unfair on rest of the students that you work alongside.....!!!
Lindsay1985
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Unfortunately health & social care work involves 24/7 cover no matter which area it is and it no difference for social workers as they to work 24/7 due to nature of job.

You'll have to do this placement as if you refuse say then it can lead to you failing the placement at first and also the course to as you'll probably have xxxxx hours to complete for all placements and university studies over duration of the course.

But ask then about it again and see what they say.
I don't know if they will be accommodating just for you as be unfair on rest of the students that you work alongside.....!!!
Thankyiu for your response, I have 8 years in health and social care, this degree is just the paper I need to continue my job but with better pay.
I work weekends and filled in the form the uni gave me stipulating what I can and can't do. My practice educator, practice tutor and lecturer said and have kept saying we are not expected to work placements that interfere with our already arranged plans like work and childcare, hence filling out a form stipulating availability (just like any job in the health and social care sector).
Have you had any experience with this dilemma?
Last edited by Lindsay1985; 1 month ago
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lindsay1985)
Thankyiu for your response, I have 8 years in health and social care, this degree is just the paper I need to continue my job but with better pay.
I work weekends and filled in the form the uni gave me stipulating what I can and can't do. My practice educator, practice tutor and lecturer said and have kept saying we are not expected to work placements that interfere with our already arranged plans like work and childcare, hence filling out a form stipulating availability (just like any job in the health and social care sector).
Have you had any experience with this dilemma?
Hi
No probs in replying ok,

Yes I experienced this issue to as a registered nurse and midwife as been qualified as a nurse for 11 years as we get staff always wanting out of working certain shifts especially students as they think they don't need to do nightshifts and weekends but no choice as part of the conditions x I have interacted with social workers throughout my career as part of care of young children when parents was stuck in hospital so its part of our job to work alongside likes of yourself.

The way you wrote your original post it sounded like you were inexperienced in this but obviously you got experience for it.,

So the problems is that they still require xxxx number of staff to work those times etc you said about !!
It unusual that they tell yous what you can & can't do like but obviously every university in the country has there own requirements & specifications for this post in social worker like.

The only thing is you speak to them and sort it out ASAP as stick to your agreement from university and see what they try to make you do,
Placement is obviously part of the course for you and therefore perhaps they can try to rearrange things to suit but will they is the thing !!!
Freddie_Mercury
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

I hope that you manage to get things sorted!

I will just say that, as a final year Social Work Student myself (although I am not progressing into Social Work and instead going into Primary School Teaching with the goal to eventually become an Educational Psychologist!) - I did my required two placements as part of my social work course. I did over 120 days in total, and both of my placements were 9 to 5, and not working weekends. I did work later to respond to ‘emergency’ cases... but there was definitely no weekends involved! I would certainly speak to your tutor and practice educator about this!

I hope that you get this sorted soon! Do let us know what happens!

Freddie_Mercury_Fan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10.31%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
53.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.19%

Watched Threads