Crashing Higher Modern Studies and History?

Watch this thread
otto:)
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Im really new to this so I hope Im using it right)

Hi

I am just wondering if I would be able to crash higher modern studies and history? I am currently in S5 (just started) and would be looking to crash these subjects in S6. I am a bit worried because I am only taking two highers this year (biology and english) and I heard that modern studies and history are easy enough to crash at higher as long as you can remember the course. I need four highers to get into the course I want to get into at Strathclyde Uni. In S6 i would also ideally be taking higher chemistry and environmental science but I just want to keep my options open.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
I did higher (and advanced history) and it’s definitely a lot and pretty difficult, I had friends who did higher modern studies and they said there was a lot as well so I would think carefully about crashing them together. Not saying that it’s impossible but certainly sounds like a big workload. What other subjects would you do with it?
cchloepx
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I did higher and advanced higher modern studies. Higher mods is a breeze- keeping up with the news and what’s going on in politics will help to give you good examples for essays.

Not too sure about history though. I was originally doing higher history this year but had to drop it because I was doing too many subjects. Found the essays a lot more difficult than higher modern studies and I’ve heard that from a lot of people.
cchloepx
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Also, personally I think whether they’re a crash higher or not doesn’t matter. Higher history is very different from nat5, youre learning a lot of new skills.
In higher mods the skills are fairly similar to nat5 but you will be taught how to structure and write the essays.

For both subjects, the vast majority of schools teach new content at higher than they did at nat5, so you won’t be missing anything.

I’ve crashed 3 highers in school. Higher Italian, higher French, and higher politics. I don’t think it’s as big a feat as people like to pretend it is lol. Hell, at least with crashing higher languages you are missing some content that you would’ve learned at nat5 lmao. Crashing higher history and higher mods won’t kill you.
Rep:
(Original post by thepunmaster.e)
I did higher (and advanced history) and it’s definitely a lot and pretty difficult, I had friends who did higher modern studies and they said there was a lot as well so I would think carefully about crashing them together. Not saying that it’s impossible but certainly sounds like a big workload. What other subjects would you do with it?
Thank you for replying, I'd like to ideally take higher environmental science and higher chemistry alongside these. Chem and environmental science shouldn't be too much of an issue as I have a good understanding of the subjects but I am aware they are highers hence why I was looking to see if it would be possible
Rep:
(Original post by cchloepx)
Also, personally I think whether they’re a crash higher or not doesn’t matter. Higher history is very different from nat5, youre learning a lot of new skills.
In higher mods the skills are fairly similar to nat5 but you will be taught how to structure and write the essays.

For both subjects, the vast majority of schools teach new content at higher than they did at nat5, so you won’t be missing anything.

I’ve crashed 3 highers in school. Higher Italian, higher French, and higher politics. I don’t think it’s as big a feat as people like to pretend it is lol. Hell, at least with crashing higher languages you are missing some content that you would’ve learned at nat5 lmao. Crashing higher history and higher mods won’t kill you.
Thank you! Did you crash all three highers in a single year?
cchloepx
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by otto:))
Thank you! Did you crash all three highers in a single year?
I crashed higher Italian last year- but it was self taught. I was not in a class for it.

Crashed higher French this year as well as politics. I wasn’t in a class for French due to timetabling issues but I was able to access powerpoints and help from French teachers at my school so it wasn’t as independent as Italian.

Higher politics was fine, it’s actually really similar to higher mods so crashing it this year after doing higher mods last year was a breeze. I got like 95% in my prelim lol.
Dan77766
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I did higher history last year and it was the most difficult higher i took... this being due to the expansive coursework and information throughout the topics that you must learn and write down in essay formats throughout the year. However, if you are a good historian and can remember dates and essay layouts then you should do fine. There is a lot of work to be done however and the subject as already mentioned is very workheavy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise