yukina_izumi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I currently have offers to study MA Linguistics in SOAS and Queen Mary and I cannot decide between the two. I’m still waiting for a reply from UCL and if that happens that would be my first choice but in the meantime I would appreciate any advice to help me decide between these two. I am planning to continue taking Japanese classes alongside my course and I was told that SOAS has some of the best language courses a uni has to offer, but it’s the rankings and the low entry requirements (2:2 minimum) that worry me. On the other hand I’ve heard countless horrible comments about the teaching and student experience in QMUL but none specifically regarding the Linguistics department and it ranks slightly higher than SOAS. I also have a particular interest for East Asian languages and cultures, making SOAS an attractive choice. I really need to hear real life experiences from the Linguistics departments of both unis before I decide. Anything you have to say that’ll help me is appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by yukina_izumi; 1 month ago
SOAS
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This may be of interest - a Linguistics alumna talking about her experience at SOAS! https://study.soas.ac.uk/i-am-yoruba...k-my-language/
Queen Mary Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yukina_izumi)
Hi, I currently have offers to study MA Linguistics in SOAS and Queen Mary and I cannot decide between the two. I’m still waiting for a reply from UCL and if that happens that would be my first choice but in the meantime I would appreciate any advice to help me decide between these two. I am planning to continue taking Japanese classes alongside my course and I was told that SOAS has some of the best language courses a uni has to offer, but it’s the rankings and the low entry requirements (2:2 minimum) that worry me. On the other hand I’ve heard countless horrible comments about the teaching and student experience in QMUL but none specifically regarding the Linguistics department and it ranks slightly higher than SOAS. I also have a particular interest for East Asian languages and cultures, making SOAS an attractive choice. I really need to hear real life experiences from the Linguistics departments of both unis before I decide. Anything you have to say that’ll help me is appreciated. Thanks!
Hey there yukina_izumi!

Sounds like a difficult decision to make! Hopefully I can offer some insight into QMUL and signpost you to some resources you might find helpful. QMUL is an amazing university and is well-regarded academically and in terms of employability. We are a Russel Group, we were ranked 114th in the world by QS just this past year, and are also the most inclusive Russel Group university!

The student experience at Queen Mary is also excellent. As the only Russel Group university with a campus in London, getting to class, getting involved, and getting to know people is incredibly easy! The campus is full of student venues, such as our wonderful main library, cafes, student gym, and student bar among many others! There's also loads of space and the fact we're in Zone 2, while still very central, means it's incredibly affordable as well! The SU holds loads of events and there are hundreds of societies to join, including student media, sports leagues, and more!

If you have specific concerns regarding the content of the course or teaching, you can get in touch with the School of Languages, Linguistics, and Film by email. Their contact details can be found here: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/sllf/contact-us/!

But what's even better is that you can get in touch with people who study what you intend to via Unibuddy - an online platform that allows you to chat to students at QMUL! You can use the following link and filter it by subject (i.e. modern languages, linguistics): https://www.qmul.ac.uk/unibuddy/. Katarina studies Modern Languages and Julieta studies Linguistics. You can ask them anything you want about the course/QMUL and they'll be more than happy to get back to you and share their experiences!

Hope this helps! And best of luck!

Matthew
QMUL Student Ambassador and TSR Representative
Last edited by Queen Mary Student Ambassadors; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads