The Student Room Group

How long would it take to learn polish?

It’s a hard language I know but it’s definitely not as difficult as other languages like Chinese or Arabic. It should only take about 3-4 years maximum to be able to have meaningful conversations with people right? Provided I studied an hour or so a day
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
I suppose if you study it and build on your skills for an hour every day for 3/4 years then it sounds plausible that you could be having conversations with people after that period 🤔 Although I don’t know anything about languages, but yeah, in my head it seems like it will be manageable for you to feel confident in the language after the 3/4 years! 😅 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Iownuk
It’s a hard language I know but it’s definitely not as difficult as other languages like Chinese or Arabic. It should only take about 3-4 years maximum to be able to have meaningful conversations with people right? Provided I studied an hour or so a day

You could probably have a simple conversation with someone after about 3 months, I would have said.

What has attracted you to Polish as a language?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kerzen
You could probably have a simple conversation with someone after about 3 months, I would have said.

What has attracted you to Polish as a language?

I have a lot of polish friends and I’ve wanted to learn a slavic language for some time now so it just makes sense lol. And by meaningful conversation, I mean being able to talk with the same level of comfort and confidence as in English though maybe not to the same extent vocabulary wise
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ..M..
I suppose if you study it and build on your skills for an hour every day for 3/4 years then it sounds plausible that you could be having conversations with people after that period 🤔 Although I don’t know anything about languages, but yeah, in my head it seems like it will be manageable for you to feel confident in the language after the 3/4 years! 😅 :smile:

Yeah it should only take about 4 years at most to achieve fluency
Reply 6
Original post by Iownuk
I have a lot of polish friends and I’ve wanted to learn a slavic language for some time now so it just makes sense lol

Original post by Iownuk
I have a lot of polish friends and I’ve wanted to learn a slavic language for some time now so it just makes sense lol

How come do you have a lot of Polish friends? If you live in Poland then yes absolutely but if you live in England then I do not see the reason? Surely in England your Polish friends would speak English? No offence.
Reply 7
Original post by Luwei
How come do you have a lot of Polish friends? If you live in Poland then yes absolutely but if you live in England then I do not see the reason? Surely in England your Polish friends would speak English? No offence.

I live in the uk and I have a passion for languages, I’ve been learning german for over a year and I think learning polish would be good in case I ever go to poland with friends or smth
Reply 8
Original post by Luwei

I’ve got a passion for languages in general and I want to learn about 3-4 languages as any more than that is too much difficulty. I’m learning german which is a germanic language and now I want a slavic language so that’d be polish
Reply 9
Also sorry, it said my message didn’t send but it actually did so I replied twice oops lol
Reply 10
Original post by Iownuk

If you're keen, what about signing up for the Polish sampler being put on online by CityLit in July? It looks like fun and would allow you to hear more of the language.

If you like it, you can start the Beginners' course in the autumn.

https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/discover-polish/lbtph1-2021

https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/polish-beginners-module-1
Reply 11
Original post by Kerzen
If you're keen, what about signing up for the Polish sampler being put on online by CityLit in July? It looks like fun and would allow you to hear more of the language.

If you like it, you can start the Beginners' course in the autumn.

https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/discover-polish/lbtph1-2021

https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/polish-beginners-module-1

That Sounds fun but is it like a 1 off thing or a routine thing you do every week or so?
Reply 12
Original post by Iownuk
That Sounds fun but is it like a 1 off thing or a routine thing you do every week or so?

The first link takes you to Discover Polish, which is just a one off evening on July 14th which gives you an opportunity to sample the language. I would suggest that you book that, it's only £19 and gives you a flavour of the language so that you can decide whether to take it up.

The second link is to the autumn course, which is a weekly one.
I learned conversational level Russian in about a year. Polish is probably similar.
Reply 14
Original post by Kerzen
The first link takes you to Discover Polish, which is just a one off evening on July 14th which gives you an opportunity to sample the language. I would suggest that you book that, it's only £19 and gives you a flavour of the language so that you can decide whether to take it up.

The second link is to the autumn course, which is a weekly one.

I’ll have a closer look at both of them, thanks for the recommendation
Reply 15
Original post by Sabertooth
I learned conversational level Russian in about a year. Polish is probably similar.

Oh really? Yeah russian and polish are around the same level of difficulty so it might just take a year like you said. How often did you study per day? I may be able to study 2 hours starting september
Original post by Iownuk
Oh really? Yeah russian and polish are around the same level of difficulty so it might just take a year like you said. How often did you study per day? I may be able to study 2 hours starting september

I did about 5 hours studying per week. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Sabertooth
I did about 5 hours studying per week. :smile:

Interesting. And it only took a year going at that pace? That’s good to hear

Quick Reply

Latest